cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omphh free sim in WiFi dongle stopped working

Rbradbury73
Joining in

I got a free virgin mobile sim when I signed up to my virgin TV/broadband/phone package. My family all were in mobile contracts at the time so I decided to use the SIM in a portable 4g mobile WiFi router to use as a WiFi hotspot for the family in the car when on my travels taking advantage of the unlimited data which came with the sim card. This worked brilliantly but at some point (I am presuming when virgin merged with O2 but I may be wrong) the SIM seems to have lost the ability to share the internet via the router, I have tried the sim in a phone and it will allow tethering, I have also tried an EE SIM in the router which allowed the internet to be shared just fine so nothing wrong with the router. Can anyone tell me has this feature been blocked at some point and if so is there a fix or can I request a replacement SIM to fix it? 

9 REPLIES 9

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rbradbury73, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised here regarding your Oomph SIM.

It could be potentially, that as the SIM is subject to the Fair Use Policy, that it may have breached this.

The fair use policy is as follows: 
"3.5. Usage of Unlimited Data is subject to our Fair Usage Policy. To help us identify whether you are using your Unlimited Data in accordance with the Fair Usage Policy and these Terms , we may monitor the amount of data you are using. Where you regularly tether to 12 or more devices, have used 650GB of data twice within a 6 month period, or have connected to a device other than an eligible device as stipulated in clause 3.3 of these Terms, then we may investigate your usage further to ascertain whether your Unlimited Data usage is for the permitted use. Where following such investigation we determine or reasonably suspect that your usage is for purposes other than the permitted use then we reserve the right to transfer you to a more suitable plan."

I hope this helps but it may be the reason why, does this explain things for you?
Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply yes this may explain things but I think the only reason I'll be in breach would be the device I'm using. Do you have a link to the T&C's just so I can have a look at the devices which are allowed as there would never be 12 devices and 650gb seems way more data than I'd ever get to, I may be wrong on that though. Is there any way that this can be reversed once I've clued myself up on what's allowed?

Thanks Richard.

Hi Richard, thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid this can't be reversed unfortunately, bu for more info on the O2 Fair Usage Policy please see here.

I hope this helps!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom_w

I've looked at the fair usage policy but can't find clause 3.3 relating to devices could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Richard

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rbradbury73,

Thanks for coming back to us. Apologies, please view the Unlimited Tariff Terms on the O2 website to read more about this. The clause 3.5 is listed there.

Let us know if you need any further help or assistance going forward.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina,

I'm not sure if you e seen the previous conversation I had with tom_w but having now looked at the t&C's he was referring to I can't see where I've run foul of them. The device I was using is a mobile device which doesn't require plugging in other than to charge it same as a mobile phone. Could there be another reason my data has been barred on this device? Also I haven't had 12 devices tethered or used 650gb of data at all, let alone twice in a six month period.

Thanks for your help

Richard.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rbradbury73,

Thank you for coming back to us about this. Apologies if I misunderstood what you meant.

As per our T&C's and O2 T&C's, SIM cards will need to be used in a mobile device. We only sell SIM Only deals such as the OOMPH SIM for a mobile phone, not a dongle. For this you'd need a Mobile Broadband Deal.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Hi,

It doesn't state in the T&C's that it has to be a mobile phone it just says it has to be a device which doesn't have to be continuously plugged in. Which the device I was using complies with. It is a portable hotspot and as far as I can tell I didn't breach any of the other terms. I don't want to be a pain but I can't see where I've gone wrong.

Tha Richard 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rbradbury73 

Thanks for your response

As advised previously you would need a Mobile Broadband deal for us to offer any further support with an issue like this as the SIMO deals are only for use in a mobile phone. My apologies

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team