cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd calls

srostam
Joining in

Hi there,

I've been getting calls from people, when i call them back they say they didn't call me. I believe it is something the scammers are doing which is spoofing my number or theirs to scam people. I don't want to be target of this and i would expect that the line provider which is virgin media to have measures in place to stop this from happening.

Can anyone point me in the right direction in trying to figure this out?

Thank you and kind regards

3 REPLIES 3

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are correct in your assumption as to what has happened. It has happened to me in the past and others.

At this juncture the networks have no way of stopping this happening. The good news is the scammers move on quickly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem is these scam operations are not working in the UK. Most of them operate out of India & use commonly available VoIP software to spoof UK numbers. Because our core analogue phone system is so antiquated there are no security measures that can authenticate one end of the call from the other.

Security measures can only be put in place when telephone DSO takes place in 2025 & all lines, both land based & mobile move to VoIP/data based digital systems.

As stated above, scammers change the numbers they fake or clone regularly to escape people using number blocking facilities.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @scrostam 

Thank you so much for your first post and welcome to our community forums! We're so happy to have you here! 

I am so sorry to hear this has happened! I understand how incredibly frustrating this must be. Unfortunately our community are correct and there is not a lot as providers we can do to stop this, especially as these people are working outside the parameters of the law. 

You can read up on phishing scams, what they are and how to handle them here, but unfortunately we just need to wait for the scammers to drop the number. 

Thank you.