cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obscene call claiming to be from Virgin Mobile

toddsmum
Joining in

Just received a call from removed. caller knew my name and my Virgin mobile package. When I told them I wasn't interested was told removed

On googling it looks like a scam number but would like to know how they have details of my virgin mobile package. Has their been a data breach?

[MOD EDIT: Number and Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

3 REPLIES 3

toddsmum
Joining in
Hi why are you removing a number claiming to be from Virgin.

Could you confirm whether it is or isn't? And shouldn't other virgin users be made aware to avoid this number if it isn't.

Good Afternoon @toddsmum, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and I'm sorry to hear of the nature of the call you've received.

I have been able to look into the phone number for you and can confirm that this is not a Virgin Media number and has been marked as spam/scam from multiple different users.

If you're able to paste the phone number into Google, you'll be able to see reports of this number claiming to be different companies and using inappropriate language in some cases.

We are aware of scammer’s currently cold calling customers of our services, and rival companies, posing at Virgin Media. 

Do feel free to take a look at our handy literature to assist you further.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

@toddsmum

You would be surprised how easily information can be gleamed from social media, my advice is to not be forth coming when posting life updates etc.

It could be as simple as being on facebook and you changed your VM package to something bigger, and you casually say "Just went with xxxxx package, it's a bit more expensive though".

There is a chance also that a bot has sent out a large group of phishing emails to you, pretending to look like a genuine VM email, and clicked the link inside it and inadvertently gave information.

Another is someone giving you a call out of the blue, "Oh hi, would you be ok to do a survey call with us... they ask your energy provider, communications provider etc" - it may seem innocent enough, but you just told them things they can use.

Majide!