cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Switch - 5G?

MrMusashi
Joining in

You'll have to excuse this question, a bit like Manual when it comes to mobiles, 'I know nothing'.

Current Virgin sim is 4G but just bought a 5G phone, will the O2 service give us 5G.

Anyone know?

Ta.

7 REPLIES 7

roy247
Community elder

You will need to call and ask for a 5G SIM.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Best to call into an O2 shop with ID to get a replacement. You can get one online but almost certainly O2's systems will cut you off before the new SIM arrives.

Big cause for complaint over @ O2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MrMusashi 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear your concerns regarding 5G! 

To make 5G work you just need to have a 5G compatible handset, and 5G signal in your area. You can check for coverage in your area here 👉 O2 Network Coverage Checker | 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G Coverage
You would not need to get a new SIM (Unless you have had the SIM card for more than a year in which case we may need to upgrade the SIM card for you.)

Just let us know if this is the case for you and we can always send you a PM to confirm a few details and get a new one sent out if needed. (If you have already been in touch with the mobile team via 📞0800 052 0238 we would not need to send another either.)

Thank you for your patience in the meantime if you do still require support! All the best. 🌞

Molly

MrMusashi
Joining in

Thank you everyone who replied very helpful, I'll call into  a shop and ask for a new sim.

Hi @MrMusashi thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to take a look on your behalf, to see if the SIM is still showing as being on our network and if there's a migration date. To confirm this I am going to send you a private message. Please do keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

MrMusashi
Joining in

An update which may help everyone now that I'm on O2, my old sim pulls in 5G on my new phone, same for my wife.

Hi MrMusashi,

That's great news. Thanks for the update

Hope you have a lovely day and weekend!

Beth