cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number portability on closure of Virgin Pay-As-You-Go

user79838245
Joining in

Long story. Wondering if anyone can explain what was going on ...

I have a relative who had a Virgin PAYG phone. She didn't notice a text message from Virgin on 11th November last year saying that the PAYG service was ending, so was surprised when her phone just stopped working. We then looked at the website which said that you had three months from the date of being informed to transfer your number elsewhere. Three months had not gone by at the time, so I tried to arrange this for her, but the rep I spoke to just said it was too late. This was on the 9th February, which is just under three months from 11th Nov, but the rep gave some cut-off date in January. I couldn't get an explanation of why this was different from what it said on the website.

So I then filled in a complaint form on Virgin's website somewhere. My relative then received a letter which basically repeated what the rep said (cut-off date is 18th Jan) and that 'we hope this works for you'. So not really helpful at all. It said for further assistance to call 0345 454 1111 or log in to mobile.virginmedia.com. The 0345 number just seems to be the customer service people that I spoke to in February. We can't log in to the mobile.virginmedia.com because it requires some password we don't know, and we can't change the password because that requires your mobile number, and it no longer recognises her old number as valid!

So basically she's lost her number and Virgin have been no help in explaining why or what we can do about it. There is complaint reference number on the letter, but I can't find a number I can call which deals specifically with complaints.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for the link and thanks to @enlli for the assistance.

Sadly we're not able to port numbers that are now deactive and the information offered within the letter to your relative would be accurate

Sorry we're not able to assist further

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post @user79838245 and a very warm welcome to you

Sadly once the PAYG sim has been deactivated this cannot have the phone number ported over.

As per the advice given, the cut off date was back in January and multiple text messages/notifications we're sent to all users.

I'm not sure exactly what you've read online, but you're welcome to post this link to this so we can look through this

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi. I think the link was https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-pay-as-you-closing, which I found just now by searching for 'virgin payg closure 3 months'. But when I click on it, I now get redirected to just https://www.virginmedia.com/help.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If I remember the link correctly it was put up around three months before the closure of PAYG. From then customers had the 3 months in which to port their number and claim a refund if they so desired.

The service closed fully on the 18th January, but the opportunity to claim a refund has been extended throughout this year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the link and thanks to @enlli for the assistance.

Sadly we're not able to port numbers that are now deactive and the information offered within the letter to your relative would be accurate

Sorry we're not able to assist further

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

OK, thanks both.

Thanks also for the reminder about credit refunds. We asked for a refund back in February, but we've checked for it now, and it wasn't paid! So have had to phone up again. Hopefully this time it will arrive!

I'm sorry to hear you've not received the refund user79838245,

Please keep us posted on whether this is received after the recent call, and we can pop you over a private message for more details if needed.

Alex_Rm

The refund did happen in March (we only just got the card statement). So that's sorted, thanks.

Glad to hear this @user79838245

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be here to help if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley