cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recieving texts through Wifi Calling

doubter
On our wavelength

I live in an area with no mobile signal. I have recently turned on WiFi calling and can now make and receive mobile phone calls at home. I can send text messages. Unfortunately, I am not receiving text messages sent to me, and those that I know have been sent do not appear when I later enter an area where I get a Virgin Mobile signal. 

My internet is provided by BT. I am using a 4G sim.

Is there a setting that I need to change?

118 REPLIES 118

WILLD1971
Tuning in

I have this identical problem, until recently I hadn't notice a problem with SMS messaging, but it has become apparent and significant since January 2021 for me. And the worst thing is, having just come across this thread it's clear there is a network problem affecting loads of people and yet Virgin help have wasted a couple of hours on the phone with me trying different settings and sending me a new SIM card, all of which has made no difference.  But they didn't tell me to turn off WiFi calling...

I've just disabled WiFi calling as this thread advises but as of 30 minutes and a reboot later I still haven't had any real messages or test messages.  4G coverage is reasonable in my areas.

One of the things the call centre did tell me was that the masts I connect to at home and at work are both running with problems - if that's the root cause then how is it acceptable for this to be a long term problem, week after week?  What are we paying for???

I’ve swapped to Three, this week, and bingo. No problems with WiFi call texting. 

Same fault here - and I came from Three 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Hi Ashpole, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your mobile services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you.
Can you tell me whether an error message appears on screen when you insert the SIM?
Does it happen with all numbers or just particular ones?
Have you tried the SIM in another phone to see if it works?

Lastly, what device make and model do you have and is it running on the latest update?
Thanks,
Megan_L

It's a network issue, @Martin_N is helping me.

Thanks.

Hi Ashpole, 

Thanks for letting me know, I hope you get a resolution with Martin's help, he's brilliant with this kind of issue 🙂

Good luck!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Still no further forward with this despite several follow-up calls from Virgin. The latest theory from them is that it's happened because they ported my SIM from EE to Vodafone network and now they are porting it back again. Every now and then I get a couple of messages come through from 2 step authentication (a couple of days ago) but in general SMS is still not working.

Hi Willd1971,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your mobile services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. I just want to ask the same questions I asked the previous user - 

• Can you tell me whether an error message appears on screen when you insert the SIM?
  • Does it happen with all numbers or just particular ones?
  • Have you tried the SIM in another phone to see if it works?
  • What device make and model are you using?

Thanks,
Megan_L

Abijsmith
On our wavelength

It’s not an error on the customers’ part, it’s a Virgin issue. The problem goes away when you switch to another mobile provider. I have done this and can now send and receive texts via WiFi with no issue. Virgin need to fix this or will lose more customers who need to use WiFi calling. 

Try Three. Their WiFi calling / texts work without any issue at all.