cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recieving texts through Wifi Calling

doubter
On our wavelength

I live in an area with no mobile signal. I have recently turned on WiFi calling and can now make and receive mobile phone calls at home. I can send text messages. Unfortunately, I am not receiving text messages sent to me, and those that I know have been sent do not appear when I later enter an area where I get a Virgin Mobile signal. 

My internet is provided by BT. I am using a 4G sim.

Is there a setting that I need to change?

118 REPLIES 118

RockMobster
Tuning in

Hi All,

To those others experiencing this issue, I may have found something that will help.

I installed and a different SMS client (Chomp) on my phone, and SMSs now seem to be received MUCH more predictably. Don't know if this is coincidence or not, but it might be worth a try for those still having trouble.

P.S. My first vaccine appointment was delayed by this fault. I hope no one actually died because of Virgin's inaction on this. I've now had both shots but I had to actively pursue them rather than wait for the SMSs as the government were instructing everyone to do. Get yer shots guys!

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi RockMobster, thanks for the update on this - glad to hear you've found a work-around in the meantime. 

As far as I'm aware there's been no further update from the teams looking into the sms/wifi-calling issue, a replacement SIM seems to fix it in some cases but not all - hopefully there will be further progress made very soon.

Tom 

A woman on the Virgin technical support team tried really hard for me, culminating with a new SIM which failed to work in either of our phones (my wife has a Galaxy a41).

Switching to the 3 network cured the problem.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry to hear that Dhobbins, just to confirm - did the SIM card not work at all, or did it just have the same issue? If it didn't work at all it may have just needed activating. 

Tom 

Same issue - could send, but not retrieve, sms texts.

With the increasing use of One Time Codes from banks, government and payment systems this is becoming a "must have" to those of us living in areas with no mobile signal.

Sorry to leave VM but no alternative. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for clarifying, it's disappointing to hear that didn't work and this caused you to leave. I appreciate your concerns though, hopefully it won't be an issue for those affected for much longer, rest assured we're doing all we can from here.

Tom 

gavrb
Tuning in

Noticed Wifi calling was now available again on my Galaxy Note 10+ so thought I would turn it on to see if this had been resolved. First attempt at an OTP when on Wifi and bang, no message through. 

Did anyone get anywhere with this or is it literally move service provider to get it resolved hahaha?

"rest assured we're doing all we can from here"

Really??? 15 months after this thread started. Must be a high priority issue......

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gavrb wrote:
"rest assured we're doing all we can from here"

Really??? 15 months after this thread started. Must be a high priority issue......

I have to agree with you on this one. I feel sorry for the team that have to ask the same question time and time again and are sent on here to say "we are working on it."

Virgin use their own proprietary brand of WiFi Calling and obviously it has problems. Quite frankly they should scrap the whole system and change to the one used by O2. This would also give the added advantage of compatibility with a greater range of handsets rather than the paltry number there is now.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I too had great service from the tech team. However, they couldn't fix it and I had to change networks. 

Virgin have to realise that the increasing use of One Time Codes makes wifi calling essential when you visit or live in a mobile blank spot.