cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not recieving texts through Wifi Calling

doubter
On our wavelength

I live in an area with no mobile signal. I have recently turned on WiFi calling and can now make and receive mobile phone calls at home. I can send text messages. Unfortunately, I am not receiving text messages sent to me, and those that I know have been sent do not appear when I later enter an area where I get a Virgin Mobile signal. 

My internet is provided by BT. I am using a 4G sim.

Is there a setting that I need to change?

118 REPLIES 118

bamusbigus
On our wavelength

This morning, I spoke to a most helpful young lady in the Fault Management Team.

She very patiently and calmly took me through various diagnostics, one of which was to make available on my phone the capability to switch WiFi calling on and off which, for some reason, had not been enabled on my phone.

She told me that she had been told recently that one of their resolutions is to de-register then re-register the phone. Unfortunately, that did not work for me.

She has escalated the issue to her manager and provided a full record of the steps she had taken with me along with the outcomes of each of those steps.

So, whilst I still have the issue, I must commend the young lady for all that she did and I am convinced that she has done all she can, including escalating the issue.

And, at least I now know that I have an easier way to switch WiFi calling on and off if I have no mobile signal at home.

Incidentally, she also advised me to disable VoLTE since they do not have permissions for that.

If a Virgin Mobile person reads this, please pass on my thanks. 

Hi bamusbigus,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the help you received. 

We do love to hear this. We have passed this on for you. 

^Martin

TBH, this is pretty poor. Since Covid Vaccination invites are being send out by SMS and people are currently being instructed to stay indoors I could miss my invite or may already have done so. I can't by the only one in this situation either.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

10 months in on this thread.

I was an engineer working for ITV. If we had not fixed a fault in that time we would have all  be at Job Centre months ago.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

doubter
On our wavelength
Thank you for this information. I am astonished that this is still not sorted, but good to know that you are at least looking into it. I hope that you will resolve this soon and reward our patience.

When you first introduced WiFi Calling last year, I was part way through the process of leaving Virgin after using your mobile services for years, but seeing the WiFi service had been introduced encouraged me to cancel the move and stick with you. The WiFi Call service is good for calls, but the text side of things is so frustrating. I avoid giving out my mobile number as a contact point because of it, and tell people to avoid texting me altogether.

Please can you level with us and tell us why this problem is happening - if you're unable to fix it, then I'll go elsewhere.

raalltheway
Joining in

I am having the same issue with SMS as everyone else. I won't go into details as they are identical to what other people describe. Hopefully the more people let Virgin know about the issue, the more likely they will be to resolve it in a timely manner.

I’m getting to the stage where I’ll have to switch providers because I so need the SMS part of WiFi calling to work. (Authentication, GP texts etc.). I don’t know why Virgin can’t get this fixed.  All the other providers don’t have problems. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Abijsmith wrote:

I’m getting to the stage where I’ll have to switch providers because I so need the SMS part of WiFi calling to work. (Authentication, GP texts etc.). I don’t know why Virgin can’t get this fixed.  All the other providers don’t have problems. 

Actually Vodafone have only just introduced it and are slowly rolling it out to more than a handful of selected phones and O2 have not introduced it yet.

Virgin tried to introduce it in one go and promptly fell on their face

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Abijsmith
On our wavelength

I had the full thing with EE for a few years before changing to Virgin. Worked fine. No issues. 

Works very well on Three too.