cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving text messages

MJones17
Joining in

Hi,

I need help please. I noticed a few weeks ago that receiving text messages was extremely delayed and intermittent. I can make and receive calls fine and I can send text messages fine but there seems to be a problem with receiving text messages. For example - if I send myself 10 test messages, nothing comes through, then 3 days later at a random time like 4am a load of them will come through, but not all of them. 

I contacted Virgin Mobile and upgraded my handset from an Xperia XA1 to a Galaxy A51 - the problem continued.

I contacted Virgin Mobile to report the fault and they sent me a new sim card - the problem continued. 

So I now have a new handset and a new sim card , I can make and receive calls and all my texts are sent and delivered immediately. But receiving texts takes days and sometimes they just don't come through at all. 

This is an absolute nightmare, especially with trying to set up all my apps and online banking etc as every company needs to send you a text as part of the verification process these days. 

During my latest call to Virgin Mobile they've checked and said there is no issue with coverage in my area and I need to monitor the issue for 7 days, there's nothing at all they can do for at least 7 days due to their internal protocols and their IT team won't accept any tickets unless I've officially monitored the situation for at least 7 days. I find this to be completely unacceptable and I now have a complaint raised as it's been ongoing for weeks.

This has been ongoing for ages and I need to have it resolved. It seems to affect all text messages types (from friends, businesses etc) and it happens constantly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have WiFi Calling? There is a fault stopping SMS when switched on 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

23 REPLIES 23

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have WiFi Calling? There is a fault stopping SMS when switched on 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've just switched off WiFi Calling, then I rebooted. Immediately after the reboot I received 1 text message that should've come through about 2 hours ago but the other 20 or so tests that have been sent today by myself and a couple of other people still haven't come through. None of the new tests being sent now are coming through either. Any other ideas?

After giving it another 15 mins, I've just had a flood of texts come through and all the tests I'm sending now are coming through immediately. Thanks for your help, it's very appreciated.

i have and am having the same issue... ive had 2 different contracts with 2 different sims with 3 phones.... and over 20 evenings resetting, rebooting and reinstalling and in stil having to use my old phone as they carnt get it to work and this has been going on for over a month..... the wifes phone... no problem and we did everything the same

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's a known fault. There is a thread on the subject which is about to have Its first Birthday!!

Hi Vkendrick1,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your mobile services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. There is a known issue with text messages not working correctly when WIFI calling is enabled on the phone, could you confirm if you have this activated please?

Thanks,

Megan_L

I am having the same issue of not being able to receive texts. I have also had 2 new handsets and a new sim card but the issue still persists. I have turned off wifi calling but it makes no difference. I have cleared the cache numerous times and rebooted the phone, even returned to factory settings a number of times but again this hasn't helped. Sometimes the messages will come through a number of hrs later with some missing and other times for a period of 5 mins or so they will come through immediately. Currently it is not working.

This is extremely frustrating, as with other users, most accounts are verified with a text message. 

Didn't have this issue with my old phone A8 ( Virgin ), and my wife just got an A42 ( EE ) no issues at all.

Any help would be most welcome, but it would appear this has been going on a while.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have VoLTE that seems to be a problem too.

Hi @Brisey1,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thank you for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are also having these issues. 

Can I just ask when you turned the WiFi calling off?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs