cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting text messages since failed switch to O2

jock123
Joining in

Hi.
I recieved a message to say I was being switched from Virgin to O2 on May 15th.
I followed the advice on the day - in the country, phone on, charged, etc., but then got a message to say that the transfer had failed and it would now happen later.
Last Wednesday I thought I was having a problem with patchy reception, as when I went out at miday, I got a batch of three messages sent early in the day. I know I should have had more that afternoon, but they didn’t come - and likewise some I sent did not turn up.
I don't have WIFI calling, and there doesn’t seem to be an explanation, other than it might be a result of the failed transfer to O2? How do I get my texts working again, please?

25 REPLIES 25

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jock123 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us. Apologies that you are having issues with this.  

Even though your phone may display 3G/4G/5G and have several ‘reception bars’, your phone might still not connect to data. If you are experiencing issues, please try the following steps one by one, which should fix the problem:

1. Turn your phone off and on again
  2. Ensure your phone has the latest software e.g. iOS or Android
  3. Reset network settings (refer to device manufacturer instructions if unsure)
  4. Factory reset of the device

Contact O2 should none of these fix the issue.

Keep us update in this.

Sabrina

jock123
Joining in

Hi, Sabrina - I’m not sure that I follow; I can access my data okay, and the connection to calls is okay, it’s texts that are failing to come through; I am also not recieving calls reliably, although I can make them.
I am also not on O2 - Virgin said that they had failed to transfer me - so how could contacting them help?
I have turned my ’phone on and off several times over the last week, so that hasn’t helped.
I have a Moto G7 Play, on Android 10, which is up to date for the model.
I’ve reset the network settings to no avail.
I’m reluctant to factory reset my ’phone if I will lose everything that’s currently on it, especially when I am not sure aht could be done from your end to see if the fault lies with Virgin (as I said, I wasn’t having issues until the transfer by Virgin to O2 failed).

Hi @jock123 👋.

Thanks for getting. We would need to invite you in to a private message to look at this further. 
Look out for the message in you envelope asking you to confirm a few details.

Thanks.

Sabrina

Sashaarr
Settling in

I’m having the exact same problem! It’s been 2 days now!

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sasharr 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a similar issue. Can you please expand on the exact issue you're facing, and we'll do our best to help? Can you please also confirm your device model, and current operating system? Are you also on a Virgin Mobile, or O2 SIM?

Have you been able to try the advice provided in the previous post by Sabrina?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

MarkP80
Tuning in

I'm also no longer receiving SMS messages since this "changeover". My phone still says I'm on Virgin although I had a "pop up" a few days ago saying my carrier had changed and did I want to keep my number or would I like a new one. Really frustrating as I usually get MMS verification codes for online shopping etc

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MarkP80 👋

Thanks for posting, and welcome back to the Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing a similar issue, where your SMS service has stopped working correctly. During the migration, did you receive any text messages to identify that your service had been moved to O2?

Have you tried rebooting your phone since pop up? Can you also confirm the make and model of your device, and the current operating system? In regard to your mention of your phone still identifying as "Virgin", is this when using services such as Mobile Data?

Thanks, 

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece, thanks for the response.

Answering your questions, 

1) I didn't receive a text or anything that mentioned O2. I just got a small pop-up on my screen saying my carrier ad changed and did I want a new number or to keep my existing. I pressed "keep existing" and saw nothing more. 

2) I have rebooted my phone and nothing has resolved or changed

3) My phone is an iPhone XS, running iOS 15.5

4) If I go into Settings, Mobile Data, Network Selection, it says "Virgin". Network Selection is set to Automatic. Under Mobile Data it says "goto.virginmoblie.uk" . I've selected "Reset Settings" and all entries remain the same. 

5) At the top of my phone screen the carrier is identified as Virgin

This has been particularly troublesome as I'm currently changing bank accounts and I'm not receiving any of the bank's security texts. This has worked perfectly well in the past, until now and subsequent to the carrier pop-up.

Many thanks, Mark

Hi @MarkP80 thanks for your reply.

Okay, so to rule out a handset fault can you please follow the tips included in this link here?

Once this has been done, please use this link to help further and let us know how you get on!
Many thanks

Tom_W