cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 5G

Eezirob
Joining in

Recently purchased a 5g plan from virgin but only showing 4g on phone. Checked area coverage and this reports strong area 5g coverage. 5g switched on in phone settings. Can anyone help?

22 REPLIES 22

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried the phone in any other location than your house?

I'm on Vodafone and I can tell you it is possible to be in an area marked 5G and not have a 5G signal. The reason for that is at this stage all Vodafone 5G is classed as NSA (None Stand Alone). In layman's terms that means it relies on 4G infrastructure, at present this is via one 4G site in the area. If your phone can't see that particular site then you won't get 5G. 

Work is ongoing to add more 4G connections but that takes time, particularly while 5G is in its rollout infancy.

Until you have tried more than one location you can't say whether you have it or not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No, just the Virgin media Internet name is visible and the button activated with goto.virginmobile.uk underneath..

Hi Eezirob, 

Thanks for sticking with us on this one. 

Can you please let us know if this is happening everywhere or whether it's only happening when you are at home?

Let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It seems to be happening everywhere. I have never seen it display 5G thoughin fairness I have not been to the town centre yet.

Regards,

Eezirob

Thanks for confirming that for me Eezirob. 

One more thing - are you able to try the SIM in another device. Do you get the same issue then too?

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I`m afraid I do not have another 5g capable device to try it with, just my Samsung S21 Ultra.

Regards,

Eezirob

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @Eezirob 

Could you do a manual network search and let me know the virgin network that it says its connected to? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

The list is-
Virgin
EE
3UK
O2-UK

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me. 

The 5G supported network is the virgin Vodaphone network, this is why you don't currently have 5g connection.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Do I need to contact Virgin then?

Regards,

Eezirob