cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting 5G

Eezirob
Joining in

Recently purchased a 5g plan from virgin but only showing 4g on phone. Checked area coverage and this reports strong area 5g coverage. 5g switched on in phone settings. Can anyone help?

22 REPLIES 22

chaoshusky
Dialled in

First of all, what make and model of phone do you have? And second, is the SIM card relatively new or have you had it a while? If the latter is true you may need a new SIM from Virgin to support 5G! I'm in an area with "4G coverage" but due to bad signals, blockage and blind spots its actually quite sporadic (i'm on GiffGaff, which is basically O2) so this could also be your issue. Have you had it work when out and about in your local town/city/etc?

Kind regards,

Lee

Hello,
My phone is Samsung S21 ultra 5g and the SIM is brand new (about 4 days).
Have not been to town to try it be quite honest but my house is right beside a major mobile mast and my Virgin (vodafone piggyback) coverage search shows my house to have good 5g coverage both inside an out.
Thanks for your reply.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ezirob. 

Thanks for your post and welcome to forums:) 

I am sorry you have not been able to access the 5g network.

I have located your account and your settings are fine.  Can you try the following:

Is the sim card in the SIM in the primary SIM slot?

Have you tried toggling airplane mode on and off?

Have you restarted your phone?

Is your device fully updated?

Have you tried manually selecting the 5G network, by 

Go to the Settings
Tap on Connections
Now, tap on the Network operators
On the next screen, you will see the “Select automatically” option. Make sure you toggle OFF

Let me know how you get on 

Zoie

Tried everything you suggested but no joy I'm afraid.

Hi Eezirob,

Can you confirm what it shows as the phone's APN setting?

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi Corey,
The access point names shows an activated button followed by Virgin Media Mobile Internet with goto.virginmobile.uk underneath.
Cheers,
Eezirob

Are you able to give this a reset? It should be the 3 dots and then it might say something like "reset to default"  

Thanks,

Corey C

Done that and no difference.

Did it give you a choice of APNs to install?