Menu
wibble6
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not able to share a contact card via message

I have an annoying problem, that i'm not able to send a contact from my contact list via message, it just keeps saying  Sending...  and never sends the contact details to anyone.

I can receive messages and send messages, it just seems to be the contact share.

The previous error that i had to this when trying to send a contact details via message was - Message not sent: service not activated on network.

I have googled this and checked the APN setting, which should be correct as i got them sent to me via the 789922 texting ALL and installed them both fully through my phone settings.

Handset is Huwaie honor 7.

Thanks in anticipation of any helpful replies.

W.

0 Kudos
wibble6
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not able to share a contact card via message

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place, if a moderator can remove it please do.

Best regards

W

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A few things to think about

A contact share via Messages will be sent as a MMS with a 50p charge.

Mobile Data needs to be switched on for sending/receiving a MMS.

Your Spending Cap is set high enough to allow the charge.

Sending a MMS to other networks via Virgin is not standard, it sends a link to download instead, maybe failing because of that ?

Your not trying to send to a landline number, not supported by Virgin.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
wibble6
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Teabag first off thanks for replying, i appreciate it. I have moved over to virgin from vodafone where i was never charged for sharing a contact through messages, so I'm finding it hard to understand a 50p charge for something that other providers do for free.

Mobile data (as far as i'm aware) and can see in my settings is set to - Always On.

I still can't share a contact through messaging, it does however work when sharing through Whatsapp, which is a little less convenient, as not everyone uses WhatsApp.

Best regards

W

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Not able to share a contact using message

Hi wibble6,

Welcome to our Community Forum and sorry to hear you're unable to share a contact via message.

Are you able to send and receive MMS messages ok?

Can you tell us how you are trying to share it e.g. from your address book and sharing via text, vCard? 

Thanks,

Lisa_CC

0 Kudos
wibble6
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa, thanks for your reply.

Yes i can send and receive MMS messages through WhatsApp anyway.

I go to my Phone Contacts > more > share > I then have a several choices for sharing, including: WhatsApp, Gmail, Messages.. I choose Messages, and it says Sending.. for up to 12 hours then fails to send, sometimes with an error or just a Failed warning.

Best regards
W

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi wibble6,

MMS through Whatsapp isn't the same as sending via text messaging, as Whatsapp uses mobile data rather than the MMS service on our network.

I'd recommend having a look here, selecting your handset model and following the steps on setting up the data and MMS services. Set Up Your Phone

Once you've done this try and send the contact again and let us know if it makes a difference.

As an aside, do you know anyone else on our network who may be unable to share contacts?

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Tom_S said: "As an aside, do you know anyone else on our network who may be unable to share contacts?"

I'm sure a few of us would like to test it for Virgin - but not at our own expense, so a credit would need to be promised 😏

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@teabag trust me, if I could authorise that I definitely would do. Smiley Happy

We've tried it from here on a couple of phones and the results were inconclusive, one was able to send and the other not, though I think it was down to the handset or operating system, iOS failed and Android was able to send it successfully.

Thanks,

Tom_S

wibble6
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom i already tried all those tests and got the correct settings from Virgin.

I don't know anyone else with a Virgin contract as the coverage here at home for virgin is virtually non-existent, most of he time I have no service and a warning of Emergency Calls Only on my mobile.

When i initially told Virgin of this they said it wasn't true, and sent me another Sim, then it was the same and they sent a third, after which I think they simply stopped caring

I'll be leaving Virgin when this contract runs out..

I suppose that's what i get for trying to find a cheaper mobile phone tariff deal.

Best regards W..

0 Kudos