cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Registered On Network

antonysevans
Tuning in

My wife and I each have a mobile. The signal in our apartment was never great, but we could use calls over WiFi ok. Then, around Nov 21 both phones kept constantly showing "refreshing sim data" or if I tried to phone "not registered on network". If I go outside and get a signal, then back into the apartment, WiFi calling works for a while but eventually drops out again.

The refreshing sim data completely drains our batteries every night. This still happens if I turn off WiFi, but not if I turn airplane mode on. I even changed my battery for a new one, but it still drains...

Tried all the suggestions I've seen, but no joy.

30 REPLIES 30

Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S10e

My wife's is a Samsung Galaxy S9

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't know why WiFi Calling does not work but signal wise you will both now be on Vodafone and the OFCOM coverage checker shows little to no indoor coverage for your postcode. 

Only good network is O2

Screenshot_20220221-173910_Chrome.jpg

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi antonysevans,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, in regards to WIFI callings have you had a new Sim card since you were last able to use WIFI calling? 

Regards

Paul.

No.

But after I did a million things, like removing wifi networks, changing to 2g only, use lte, resetting access points, turning settings on and off, then restarting when in range of a mobile signal and out of also when out of range, I finally managed to get my WiFi calling to work, after it registered on the Virgin network, and it seems to be holding.

I wish I could be more help to someone reading this thread, but I honestly have no idea how I got it working.....I hate it when I solve a problem but don't know how, I'll no doubt go through the same pain again at some point

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do the same for my wife's phone yet, gave up after 40 minutes. Will try again tomorrow...

Thanks for that, I did check that myself and same conclusion. I did call Virgin and the guy was really helpful, suggested using 2g only, which didn't solve the problem, but after an hour of changing settings like forgetting WiFi (his suggestion) and reconnecting, use lte, reset operators, something caused WiFi calling to work again. Annoying that I don't know what, i had tried most of them before, so it seems to be the order of doing them / restarting in range of a signal. Spent an hour trying to get my wifes to work again, nada, will give it a go again tomorrow...

One thing I noticed is that

Mobile Networks / Network Operators mine is now blank (select automatically is selected)

But on my wife's it says Virgin, no matter what I do.

It's almost like mine may have connected to O2 but hers refuses to budge from Virgin, so it can't register or something...

Hi @antonyevans, thanks for your reply and great that things have improved on your handset at the very least!

Please keep us posted with how you've got on overnight!

Hopefully things are working on both handsets now.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

My handset is still connected over WiFi, which also seems to have fixed the issue with battery draining overnight and constant refreshing sim data. I am a carer for my wife, so that is a relief because I'm not having to go outside to check for messages.

I haven't fixed my wife's yet, I will post a solution if/when I find it. Doesn't seem to be sim related, but I will swap our sims just to check.

OK, so I take my last comment back. I put my sim in my wife's phone and wifi calling immediately worked..

So it seems like I somehow have to reset the sim, so the network operators is blank and the select automatically option works, instead of being stuck on Virgin.

Mine maybe connecting through another operator (or maybe it allows using WiFi?), but my wife's is only trying to connect through Virgin, but we have no signal. Her battery drained 20% in 15 mins when I put her sim back in, so I will recharge then carry on.

Hi antonysevans,

Thank you for coming back to us and for the update, glad to hear the WIFI calling option has worked on your Wife's phone, please let us know how you get on after further checks.

Regards

Paul.