Menu
MTLavery
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Non Existent Sim coverage. Non Existent help from customer service phone line or Sales rep.

Just got sold a package on the doorstep from Virgin Media. Got the broadband and the oomph sim and when we questioned the sales rep about coverage he claimed it was excellent. My sister has a virgin mobile sim & she gets no coverage in or around my house. I am within the 14 day cool off period & I cant get anyone to answer the phone so that I can get a refund on the unusable sim. Feeling very disappointed by the service & considering a full package refund and returning to BT. Sales rep left a number that goes straight through to an O2 Voicemail... Doesn't bode well when even the reps aren't using their own service. p

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Non Existent Sim coverage. Non Existent help from customer service phone line or Sales rep.

I was not aware that Virgin did doorstep sales, maybe times have changed 

Suspicious that the reps phone is on O2. Would have thought the would have a Virgin Company phone.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Non Existent Sim coverage. Non Existent help from customer service phone line or Sales rep.

@enlli wrote:

I was not aware that Virgin did doorstep sales, maybe times have changed 

Suspicious that the reps phone is on O2. Would have thought the would have a Virgin Company phone.

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if sales reps are independent "contractors" or outsourced third parties who are just supplying Virgin with sales "services" rather than being employed by VM.

Although I agree that you'd have thought VM would want Virgin-branded contact methods, I occasionally wonder about whether Virgin field staff are using a Virgin-corporate (i.e EE with the extras included) account or a VM-branded (and live without the extras which could well be handy at times) service. At one point they were certainly on an EE-corporate. (OT but related)

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi MTLavery,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of the signal issues. Have you tried a manual network search on the handset?

Relating the cost of the SIM, if you're an Oomph customer, it would come as part of your bundle, thus to remove it would mean the cost would go up not down. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
MTLavery
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How exactly is it that the price will now go up now when we were initially quoted that the bundle was more expensive & the only reason we took the bundle over just the home internet was the Sales rep claiming that the network coverage was great??? How is it that the bundle is now suddenly cheaper than just the home internet? Not only have we been falsely sold a terrible mobile network with claims that it is "easy" to cancel the mobile if you don't like it but now we are getting the run around from every point of contact. I just wanted some contact details to get this sorted rather than pissing about running around after a sales rep who never answers the phone (on the O2 network for SOME reason) and a call centre that not only takes an eternity to get through to but also doesn't seem to be able to help or just tries to sell me something else. At this point i am still within the 14day grace period and heavily tempted to just cancel and swap over to BT or somewhere with actual customer service.

0 Kudos
MTLavery
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

And Yes i have tried the manual network search, your coverage is highly misleading on the website and terrible in Northern Ireland. How is it that every other network works fine but yours, you want me to manually search every time i want to receive a call? Do you realise how often it drops out across even just my town?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry you feel this way.

If you are on the Oomph bundle, this means you're already on a bundle offering, and thus losing the SIM card part of the deal, will mean the service you have is no longer a bundle, and thus the price will go up. You can call us on 150//03454541111 to discuss the price of your account should you wish and they can go through your account.

Have you tried the SIM in a different handset?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
MTLavery
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes i have tried it in different phones, i have tried manually searching, there is no excusing terrible coverage. I will just cancel the contract. There is no point in paying for a service that just doesn't work.
0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@MTLavery wrote:
And Yes i have tried the manual network search, your coverage is highly misleading on the website and terrible in Northern Ireland. How is it that every other network works fine but yours, you want me to manually search every time i want to receive a call? Do you realise how often it drops out across even just my town?

Just out of interest, are you including EE in your statement of "every other network works fine"? Just trying to check whether this is a genuine "poor coverage" issue (which I doubt), or if there's a combination of factors here..

1: Some Virgin Mobile SIMs seem to have issues with losing connectivity and result in the phone displaying "no service"

2: I don't know the Northern Irish geography too well, but I know EE have a fair bit of 4G800 over there which would give an advantage over a Virgin device in more rural areas. Historically O2 was quite a popular network over there with 60% or so market share once, but in more recent years I gather the differences have substantially narrowed.

On the wider point of the bundle cost, it's unfortunate but can happen... when removing a service results in the overall charge increasing.

0 Kudos
MTLavery
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I haven't had any complaints about EE, i am right outside a large town and service for O2, Vodafone, 3 and TalkTalk are all perfect for all my other family members.
0 Kudos