cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No voice when roaming

sdriver
On our wavelength

When in Spain (Canaries), I encounter same problem on different visits.

Phone works fine, can make calls to anywhere, data is good and I can use WhatsApp no problem. However, when I receive voice calls from certain numbers (local spanish & uk numbers, mobile & landline), I can hear the caller but they cant hear me. So usually they hang up and only by me calling them back am I asked to have the call.

No expert but I think has something to do with the networks and the 5G, 4G, 3G options. Also seems to only occur with other networks than O2 & Virgin. Tested with my Daughters in UK, one on O2 and have no problem, from her mobile and Virgin landline but with the other whose on EE, I am able to replicate the problem. By changing fro 5G to 4G was able to receive a call normally. But when rebooted phone, still in 4G, I couldn't be heard by the next caller calling on a Spanish landline.  Soon as I called them back, it was OK.

Problem never occurs in UK, only in Spain, although not roamed anywhere else recently. 

Very frustrating. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

31 REPLIES 31

Hi @sdriver

Thank you for getting back to us - Let us know how you get on following testing with your daughter!

We will be happy to offer any further support you need. 

All the best. 

Molly

sdriver
On our wavelength

I think I may have found a fix by installing the 'Phone by Google' and switching to 4G/3G/2G. Not 100% but so far it seems to be working. Thanks for your help..

Thanks for the update @sdriver, do please keep us updated and we'll assist you further if this is required

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

sdriver
On our wavelength

Unfortunately a false positive! Still having same problems. Sure it's to do with the network / band, any ideas?

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sdriver, 

I am sorry you are still having issues with this. 

Have you tried your sim on a different device? So we can rule out if it is a network issue.

Zoie

Presumably this problem has still not been resolved?

No still the same, I'm here again, phone works fine at home and elsewhere when roaming but not here in Lanzarote?

This is what they are saying this morning: 

I have advised after doing a check today, there are no known issues. Please confirm where you were abroad

Kind regards

John

Lanzarote, roaming on Movistar network as this is the only one possible with Virgin. Vodafone & Orange (Sp) also available but Virgin mustn't have an agreement with then so can't try an alternative. Earlier this year I did speak with tech support who informed me it was a known issue but no time frame on a fix. Personally I think it is something to do with my number, as its been ported a number of times as I've changed various providers over the years. 

Hi sdriver,

Thank you for reaching back out, when was the last time you spoke to us in regards to this only happening in Lanzarote?

Regards

Paul.