cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service abroad

y_SAHM
Tuning in

Hello, I had set up my international roaming for my trip abroad. When I first came into the country I managed to get cell service (I don't need to use my data) but when I wanted to temporarily place my SIM in another phone, I ended up losing the connection and cant receive nor send calls nor SMS anymore.

Can anyone from the staff please help me figure this out? I've still got the APN setting and I tried restarting my phone but no luck. It won't register with the local network anymore.

26 REPLIES 26

When abroad, I can receive calls and hear the caller, but they cannot hear me. This is affecting all 4 iPhones in my family. I have spoken twice with Virgin Mobile help and changed settings to Manual International and selected a specific network. Still no joy. Apparently this is an issue that is affecting all Virgin mobile customers abroad and there is no indiction of a timeframe for it to be resolved. Is this true? Can someone clarify as this is a disaster for Virgin.

Hi @stevenmdavidson,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with calls when abroad. We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help. Just to confirm, before traveling, did you set up your roaming as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-roaming-hub. Also, did you have issues with text and data? When last were you in contact with our team on 0345 600 0789 and what was discussed?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Saturday I spoke with your team twice and no help. 

changed settings to manual, international and selected different networks not automatic - none of which worked.

I’ve removed sim, put it back in and switched roaming off and back on again. No joy

this is affecting 4 phones that my family have, all iPhones. 

Receiving texts ok and data, making calls is fine too - only receiving - can’t hear caller and caller can’t hear me

Thank you for that information. What we would need to do at this point is take a look into this for you. 

I will private message you now to confirm some details. 

^Martin

It's very disappointing that even with the combined might of Akua_A, Zach_R, Paul_DN, Natalie_L, Steven_L, John_GS, Robert_P and Martin_N Virgin Mobile is still no further forward in finding a solution to this problem

Interesting. I've had a bunch of problems using virgin here in Croatia. From having to input a pin code in order to make a phone call to not hearing anything when someone calls, and not being able to receive text messages from a Croatian mobile, yet I can send texts from my Virgin mobile to the very same Croatian mobile. After months of frustration, you'll be pleased to hear I did actually resolve the situation! I switched to a cheap and cheerful Giff Gaff sim, and everything works perfectly. You suck Virgin. 

I'm in Spain and have lost network connection. Tried off/on, manually trying different Spanish networks (no joy), reverting back to auto (no joy). Seen some posts about setting SIM toolkit to International - managed to find the Toolkit app but couldn't see the setting option to change to International. Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello, 

I’m having the same issue, could you please let me know if you find anything out?

Looks like most of Europe is our... Virgin broadband was out in the UK today so might be connected... Virgin having, well a fairly typical day!!