Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 81 of 90
Flag for a moderator

Re: No service abroad

Hi Jam1e,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you've had no service in multiple countries.

I'll send you a private message to see if I can get to the bottom of this for you. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 82 of 90
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jam1e,

Thanks for your contact via private message.

Following a network refresh I'd like you to now restart the handset. It should connect to the network automatically but sometimes a manual search and select is needed (Google how to do this if you're not sure).

If you want to use your data allowance abroad then you need to make sure data roaming is active on the handset itself. The basic instructions for doing this can be found here.

If your data still doesn't work then you just need to update the APN settings of the handset. You can enter them manually by looking here or you can select your handset from the list here and you'll get the update directly.

Has this worked?

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 83 of 90
Flag for a moderator

@crusty

From the screenshots you've posted, it looks like you have a Motorola G?

These are the APN settings which have worked fine for my Moto G4 while in Belgium and France connected to Orange, SFR, & Bouygues Telecom. With a bit of luck they may help you out.

Screenshot_20170914-161640.pngScreenshot_20170914-161649.pngScreenshot_20170914-161721.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
crusty
On our wavelength
Message 84 of 90
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teabag,

Thanks for that, you're right I have a Moto G4. Interesting that a * in the APN type works for you, I'll keep that in mind. Rich B has advised it should be Internet + MMS so I'll try both and see what happens.

I may be in France again next week so I'll post bacj her with the results.

Thanks again.

teabag
Wise owl
Message 85 of 90
Flag for a moderator

Just thinking it maybe best to make a new APN with those settings to try, rarther than keep editing existing ones which are not working :-)
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 86 of 90
Flag for a moderator

crusty wrote:

Hi Teabag,

Thanks for that, you're right I have a Moto G4. Interesting that a * in the APN type works for you, I'll keep that in mind. Rich B has advised it should be Internet + MMS so I'll try both and see what happens.

I may be in France again next week so I'll post bacj her with the results.

Thanks again.

Normally on Android phones, the APN Type would be set as Internet + MMS if they are selectable from a drop down menu - if the keyboard comes up, a "*" would be used instead which covers all.

crusty
On our wavelength
Message 87 of 90
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich,

OK, I'll try it again. 

It may be worth noting that I got the settings from the link you posted - Here - which don't give the APN type, it stops at Authentication type. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Palazzo
Dialled in
Message 88 of 90
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thought I'd add my thoughts and a question as I know what a pain it is getting the APN settings right.

All the family have OnePlus phones running Oxygen OS (Their variant of Android).

My wife's and my APN settings, which did work in Norway in July match those in the help page here, except I have:

Authentication Type: Not Set (This seems to be what came with the APN setting from Virgin, as "Not Set" is not an option when editing)
APN Type: default,supl,mms (I can see there's a few websites suggesting this setting, so I must have got this from earlier searches.)
APN protocol: IPV4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4

I'd note that these settings did not work on my Daughter's OnePlus X phone a few weeks ago., also in Norway, but there were problems with the Virgin account settings management for her account at that time which may have meant she was blocked.

My question is, can VM provide a link for sending APN settings for OnePlus Oxygen based handsets on this page (Surely they must be more common that some of the really obscure phones there Smiley Happy )?

0 Kudos
mujib
Joining in
Message 89 of 90
Flag for a moderator

i am having the issue, where I am unable to register to a local network. I get the message ""your sim card does not allow connections to this network", regardless of which network operator I select. I am in Saudi Arabia and have tried everything possible. Switching the phone on/off, selecting network manually. I even called customer service twice, where the person told me they have refreshed the roaming service. It's been 2 days and still no luck.

it seems Virgin's Philippines customer services is just plain useless when trying to get things done. I have 4 mobile lines and a complete virgin media package yet the customer service experience is appalling.

can anyone help me to get connected to the network,

Capvermell
Tuning in
Message 90 of 90
Flag for a moderator

So six months later and still the same old problem of not being able to access your Virgin Mobile voicemail when roaming in Spain persists.  I received exactly the same message from "Orange Information" telling me to call 470 and as someone who also has an Orange Spain SIM card and mobile I can tell you that number is the forerunner of the current 1470 to call Orange Spain customer services if you are an Orange Spain mobile phone SIM card user.

So basically this proves that Orange Spain itself is blocking calls on its network to the Virgin UK voicemail number.  As this number only seems to be a UK mobile number format and I can call any other UK mobile number (although currently not for free out of my 2,500 inclusive minutes due to yet a further foul up by the imbeciles in the Filipino call centre when they issued me with a new SIM card on their "new UK network" - even though actually they are still just a very third rate MVNO of EE).

So I raise this with the Filipino call centre today and unusually got a man who is prepared to try and speak vaguely clear American accented English and clearly is intelligent (a virtue I cannot assign to 95% of the other staff in that call centre) and he goes to a lot of trouble with resetting the voicemail and then actually calling me back (something staff in the Filipino call centre have previously sworn is totally impossible) but the problem is still not fixed.  I even try turning off Premium Call barring in my account settings (in case the Voicemail call is classed as one of those) and that doesn't fix it either.  I do of course have roaming enabled already.

Meanwhile I happened to notice an alarming figure for the value of some recent calls in my online account and find that since I got to Spain Virgin have been charging me for every single call back to the UK, even though I have 2500 minutes of calls in my plan and have used only a handful of those.  Data use is also not showing as free so I will presumably be hit with a big charge when it gets to 1Gb.

Subsequently I made further calls to the Filipino call centre where one guy said he would have to speak to his manager and then left the phone off the hook on his desk (I could hear his colleagues in the background) but after 20 minutes he hadn't come back to me so I hung up and called back and got some exceptionally rude and surly woman with poor English (I don't mean to be sexist but most of the women in that call centre make absolutely no effort at all to speak English intelligible to Europeans and they also tend to be very short, rude and impatient with customers whereas I have had much better experiences with the small minority of workers in the call centre who just happen to be men) who said no supervisor was available to handle my complaint but claimed they would call me back in their own sweet time (unspecified).

I asked if there wasn't a top level supervisor who comes from the UK I could speak to but of course no.  Just the usual extremely rude, sullen, surly script following staff who continue to suggest solutions to longstanding problems that are never, ever fixed by Virgin that don't work,.

There is no hope for Virgin Mobile as long as their cynical directors are content to continue to employ this most clueless of Filipino call centres as the only official way of contacting them.  Now I will have to use the unofficial high level complaint email address for Tom Mockridge at https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9633 but past experiences say I will just be offered £10 compensation by the UK person who calls me back and even they won't be able to put right the IT foul ups that the Filipinos are quite incapable of fixing.

I should add that all this comes after my visit to Paris last June when on arrival I found I had no data acess even though I could make calls and send texts and the Filipino call centre staff could not fix the issue until I had made about 7 calls and spoken to 10 advisers.  Then again the same thing happened in Prague in the Czech Republic over New Year.  It turns out that hopeless Virgin Mobile needs to use a different APN in each EU country but the Settings message they are supposed to automatically send either never arrives or if it does it is not obvious as it is in the alerts bar at the top of an Android phone home page but does not come through as a separate text message of its own. But why on earth can't they use the same APN settings as in the UK worldwide with their roaming partners?  Also as a result of all this nonsense I was left without a hotel on New Year's Eve in Prague as I couldn't search for one on my smartphone after I arrived.  So overall I feel madder than hell with Virgin Mobile and especially the workers in its Filipino call centre (even though the fact I have to deal with them at all is actually the fault of the UK Board of Directors).

0 Kudos