cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service abroad

y_SAHM
Tuning in

Hello, I had set up my international roaming for my trip abroad. When I first came into the country I managed to get cell service (I don't need to use my data) but when I wanted to temporarily place my SIM in another phone, I ended up losing the connection and cant receive nor send calls nor SMS anymore.

Can anyone from the staff please help me figure this out? I've still got the APN setting and I tried restarting my phone but no luck. It won't register with the local network anymore.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This worked for another customer this afternoon who was in your situation

Android

• Select Apps from the Home screen or swipe to access
  • Select the Virgin SIM toolkit option. Depending on the SIM slot the SIM is in this may be ‘Virgin’ or ‘Virgin2’
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

iPhone or iPad with a Physical SIM

• Select Settings from the Home Screen
  • Select Mobile Data
  • Select SIM Applications
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

Restart phone

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi y_SAHM,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂 
Is your SIM still in the other handset or have you placed it back in your original one? 

Have you tried manually selecting your network? Do you have any screenshots for us?

Zoie

Hey Zoie! It's back in my original handset now. Got some screenshots here now - I can't manage to register with any of them when I go manual either, even though when I first got into the country it automatically registered with Batelco. 

Could the roaming be reset on Virgin Media's end somehow? I'm also concerned that if its reset and it works and then I try to move it back to the other phone that the same issue will happen again.

Screenshot_20211215-235546.png

Screenshot_20211215-235723.png

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This worked for another customer this afternoon who was in your situation

Android

• Select Apps from the Home screen or swipe to access
  • Select the Virgin SIM toolkit option. Depending on the SIM slot the SIM is in this may be ‘Virgin’ or ‘Virgin2’
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

iPhone or iPad with a Physical SIM

• Select Settings from the Home Screen
  • Select Mobile Data
  • Select SIM Applications
  • Select Roaming
  • Select Select Mode
  • Select Manual
  • Select International

Restart phone

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Bless!! Thank you enlli! That would be very handy for VM to keep on their site it sounds 😄 

Got service now, thanks again and have a good day!

Above solution worked (setting roaming to manual international). Was stuck with no data or signal. Phoned Virgin on partners phone whilst he was driving us through France. Tech help wanted me to remove my SIM to give the number. Strangely I didn't have the pin to remove it with me!!! Said she couldn't help without it. Continued Googling on his phone and found this solution. Thank goodness!

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Kh81, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

Great to hear @enlli strikes again! Apologies that you had to go through the first part - but I am glad to hear this is resolved 🙂 

Cheers,

Ryan. 

muirgm
On our wavelength

Virgin Media Roaming does not work. I am in Italy for a month and can't hear the caller. Made changes VM suggested and didn't help. Now they say I need a new Sim - whie in Italy?! Lots of others with the same issue on the VM Community website. AVOID!!

Didn't work for me.

Sorry to see the steps are not working for you @GarySmallridge, as this is the case I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details to check this further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules