cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network connection on new phone

HelenFH
Joining in

Hello, 

I recently ordered an unlocked Samsung s10e for my mum (bought from an independent store) but when I put her Virgin SIM in it connects for a few seconds before losing connection. It also does the same if I put my Vodafone SIM in, Therefore I presumed it was the phone, but it is definitely unlocked (I have run the IMEI through a service). 

Do I need to try ordering a new SIm for her or are there any other suggestions? I have tried every suggestion I've found online. 

9 REPLIES 9

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm suspicious that the phone does nor work with either the Virgin SIM or one from Vodafone.

If those SIM cards work in another phone then we can rule them out. 

Does the phone ask for any codes etc?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No, it doesn't. When I first switched it on and it briefly connected it sent a text from Virgin saying others would follow and they never did. 
I've just done an IMEI check and it seems it may be a US phone but I'm still not clear what's going on as the unlock services seem to need a PC (which I don't have) and it says not to use them if it didn't ask for a code. 

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @HelenFH, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you are having issues with your new phone. As enlli has advised, if the sim cards both work in other phones this would indicate that the handset would be the issue. Have you been able to try both sims in another phone?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Yes the SIMs work in other devices

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @HelenFH

Thanks for getting back to us, it sounds like the issue may lie with your handset itself. Have you been able to try any other SIM cards in the handset to see if you can get any to work? Have you contacted the store where you bought the phone from regarding the matter?

Kind regards,

Serena

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depending on the actual model it might not work on all UK frequencies. 

If you go into Settings/ About Phone it should come up with a number starting SM-G9. From the full number we should be able to find out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I'VE FOUND 2: 

SE for Android status: SEPF_SM-G970U_11_0010

and Service provider software version: SAOMC_SM-g970U_OYN_XAA_QQ_0008

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Definitely American with American Service Provider information.

Technically it is capable of accessing most of the UK phone frequencies but the Service Provider firmware may prevent this.

As the SIM cards work in another phone I think we can safely say we have some sort of compatibility issues.

It is possible to reflash the phone with UK Firmware. See if one of the phone repair shops is willing to do that for you.

Okay thank you. The seller has agreed to return for a refund so I think I'll do that and try to source one elsewhere. I've wasted enough time trying to find out how to make it work. 

Thank you for your help! (and saving me more time)