Menu
Harko
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No network connection in Jersey UK.

I have been here in Jersey for over 48 hours and I still have no network connection on either of my Virgin SIMS.  I am in company with two others who are using PlusNet SIMs which also piggyback the EE network and they were connected the moment that we landed.  I have called customer services from a Plusnet phone, was cut off mid call twice and give an answer that was quite frankly pure fantasy that the operator expected me to believe.  I am relatively savvy in relation to the telecoms business having operated in it for many years. What is the problem with Virgin in Jersey?  This issue has been well catalogued but seems that Virgin can't or won't make the effort to resolve it.  Anyone got a solution please?

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: No network connection in Jersey UK.

It's something to do with the channel islands being neither UK or EU (along with the isle of man)

They have their own networks, and for vm, connecting to them seems to sometimes fall into a hole.

saying all that, do you have one of the new purple sim cards (issued since December last year)?

if so, try this workaround, posted by vm moderators recently.

**It is critical that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the UK or you will not be able to access service when you return.**

For Android:
Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from Home screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Automatic mode - you are done, go back to Home screen

Highlighted
Harko
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

BRILLIANT !  Thank you very much, connection just kicked in!!  Just wonder why Customer services couldn't have advised this!!  Cheers

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

more useful info on this forum imo 🙂

0 Kudos
tmsleap
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Paul - Top marks for solving what would appear to be a regular problem to Virgin users in Jersey.

I've just come back to the UK and rang to complain about this for a 3rd time in 12 months. I've suffered the frustration of trying to resolve whilst on a Sure PAYG, and have today declared to jump ship to EE!

Again I've been advised a new sim will be sent to me and this will solve the problem, but until I'm there in July I won't be able to validate their claim, which I have absolutely no faith in now anyway.

I do have confidence in this straight forward process though, and will stick with Virgin in anticipation of it's success when back in Jersey. 

I reckon VM owe you for this, as it's probably cost them customers both past & present Smiley Wink

0 Kudos