cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile network in Isle of Man

IoM
Joining in

Travelled to the Isle of Man. Need to be here for 6 weeks. No mobile network coverage. Have experienced this previously and been assured that it would not happen again. It has. Cannot call the helpline numbers from my phone. Do not have access to another phone or network. Need to self isolate for Covid travel restrictions cannot get out to find someone to help me. Can someone contact me to help me with this problem. 

16 REPLIES 16

cje85
Trouble shooter

Proximum apparently does offer roaming on the Isle of Man (https://www.proximus.be/en/id_cr_roaming/personal/mobile/mobile-and-roaming-options/international-an... search for "Man, Isle Of") the rates are horrendous though. €14.52/MB for data!

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@IoM wrote:

Hi. Nothing sorted. Same problem. None of the recommendations made worked, not even replacing the VM SIM. Have had to make a couple of visits ended up getting a Voxi SIM. Best advice given by VM, call to discuss, laughable!

When was the last time you had the issue?

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Just returned from the Isle of Man on the 4 July. Continuous problem since  first reported in May 2021. Corey-C was the named contact. Absolutely no progress or meaningful response from VM customer support team.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The reason for the ask is that Virgin Mobile have recently been making some updates to their roaming settings as mentioned here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/SIM-Card-Replacement-outside-UK/m-p/4762832

So I was wanting to understand if you'd travelled since those settings were applied. But it looks like those settings can only be applied if you're in the UK, not if you're already roaming.

So if you've been out of the UK since May but are now back, hopefully the update will have resolved the roaming issue for any future trip.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry to hear the replacement SIM didn't help IoM - I found this relating to roaming settings for the IoM, it's quite old info so may not be as relevant but may be worth a try in the meantime:

For Android:
Select Apps from the Home Screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Manual
Select International-you are done, go back to Home Screen

To Switch back when in the UK:
Select Apps from Home screen
Select Virgin SIM Toolkit Icon
Select Roaming
Select Select Mode
Select Automatic and go back to Home Screen

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select International and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

To change back when returning to the UK:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Automatic mode - you are done, go back to Home screen
**It is critical that you set the SIM roaming applet back to Automatic mode once in the UK or you will not be able to access service when you return.**

...please let us know if that makes any difference. Failing that, as Ben advised above hopefully this iwll be resolved once you have returned to the UK. 

Tom

MikeG72
Tuning in

Spoke to Manx Telecom they confirmed they have NO reciprocal mobile agreement with virginmobile 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MikeG72 wrote:

Spoke to Manx Telecom they confirmed they have NO reciprocal mobile agreement with virginmobile 

Virgin do not have reciprocal agreements with any network. Its all done through a proxy network in Belgium.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks