cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No mobile data in household

asif_aziz40
Tuning in

So I know loads of folk have had the same issue as me.

Basically, I can't get mobile data in my house.  This isn't a problem when I leave my home & I can get mobile data when I'm outside - just not in my house!

I also experience extremely bad mobile network coverage that I have to use WiFi calling.  

This has been happening for a while now.  I even got a brand new sim card a few months ago, but it hasn't resolved the issue.

Suspect this has got to do with Virgin changing their carrier to Vodafone last year?

I'm close to ending my contract with Virgin Mobile.  Never had this problem with O2.

Az

11 REPLIES 11

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You say you never had a problem with O2. Virgin actually use O2 having moved everybody from Vodafone last year

Suggest you check https://status.o2.co.uk/ to see if there are problems in your area

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It says "a nearby phone mast isn't working properly and an engineer is looking into it".

However, I've been experiencing my issue for about 8 - 10 months now, so can't be the same issue surely?

My understanding from looking at posts, is that this has been a persistent issue which Virgin haven't resolved yet.  

Az

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin can't resolve network issues as they are a Virtual Network piggybacking on O2 and have no control over the likes of coverage or signal.

Eventually all Virgin customers will be moved over to O2 in the next 9 months. If you are notvl happy at that point you can leave.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Yeeeah, I'm not waiting around for another 9 months of continuous substandard service.   Guess I'm switching over then.

Thanks for your response.

Regards

Az

HI asif_aziz40, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

Signal cannot guaranteed within the home due to many factors. 

Do you get the same with both indoors and outdoors?

Chris. 

Hello

No.  As mentioned, I get a clear signal when outdoors - not so when I'm in my house.

It isn't just the signal strength though.  Mobile data works outdoors but doesn't work when I'm home.  I use WiFi Calling to get by but I shouldn't have rely on this to get by.  

Thanks

Az

Thanks for the reply, 

The signal cannot be guaranteed indoors, can you check the Ofcom coverage checker here

Chris. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@asif_aziz40 wrote:

I use WiFi Calling to get by but I shouldn't have rely on this to get by.  

In VM/O2's defence here, you're effectively asking for 100% national indoor coverage which is unrealistic from any network operator.

I disagree.  There is no 'defense' which justifies 12 months of poor performance where I haven't had decent reception coverage in my own home - and can't even use mobile data in my house.  

If your argument holds true, then Virgin Mobile should refund/compensate those customers who were unable to get indoor coverage in their region.