Menu
Highlighted
chasmacduff
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No help with new phone

Hi

I'm hitting my head against a brick wall here, received a new mobile phone, Sat 19 Jan, a Samsung Galaxy J3 2017.

On opening and trying to exchange my sim card I unfortunately put my memory card in the sim card slot.

I phoned up Virgin and told them what I had done, the Virgin operator told me I would have to go up the High Street to get it fixed, as I had made the mistake myself, I thought that is great service and he told me to phone a returns number if I wanted to send it back, I phoned up and they sent me the packaging to send the phone back, while cancelling my contract, I then proceeded to tell the girl that I would like my stuck memory card back, (If it was not damaged), I also asked if they found I had been negligent to fix the phone for me as I was at fault, she said I would get a new handset if they couldn't repair it, I duly returned the phone in the full package that was sent to me, along with an echo dot, which was on offer with the phone, 

The two packages were put into their retrospective boxes, plus all accessories, then into a card board box with the padding that came with the phone and echo dot, 

I received my phone and Echo dot back on Monday the 28th, the Echo Dot, was in its box and plastic cover, the phone was in it's box, the box was open, the two items were not secured in any cardboard box, they were just floating around in the the parcel with the mobile phone hanging out it's box, it was was delivered on the coldest day of the week, when I handled the phone it was really cold.

There were no no quick start leaflet and another missing, plus the pin which extracted the sim card, was missing as well, a five year old could have packed it better.

I have been on the phone again only to be told the same thing, I asked why It hadn't been repaired and was told they would send me out return materials, "which is basically a plastic bag".

I will have to pack it with my own old shoe boxes which I have many off.

The letter that arrived with the parcel, was crumpled to a degree of being handled in a non secured parcel.

This is what it said.

We are sorry that were not able to accept your phone under the terms of our customer satisfaction guarantee.

This means you'll still have to pay the charges under the terms of your contract with us and you won't be entitled to a refund, in this particular instance your contract can't be cancelled.

You can pay the charges monthly, or or you can pay in one lump sum.

Just give our team a call n .....................and let us know what works for you, that the reply from Virgin.

I haven't even activated the phone.

I have been a customer with Virgin 10 years plus, was paying 80 pounds plus per month, a few months ago they took programs from me and reduced my bill to 55 pound plus.

What a way to be treated, 

I think I will be leaving virgin to get another service provider, as this will help to pay for the phone that I can not use.

The people who answer your query- faults don't seem to understand much about the older generation, trying to get the names of the many phone parts and dialogues, it's very awkward, they are really polite but can't assist to many faults. 

Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: No help with new phone

you damaged your phone and are upset VM wont replace it at there cost.

I think its fair that you need to get it repaired as you damaged it

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

chasmacduff
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi apcyberax 

Upsets not the word, I asked them to repair it, they told me they would or give me a new phone, I accepted liability and said I would pay for the repair, they sent the phone back to me hanging out of it's box not repaired,( is there nobody can repair the phone? at Virgin mobile, why did they send it back minus the outer box it came in, on one of the coldest days of the year, it wasn't packed correctly, yet they asked me to pack it correctly when returning it.?

Thanks

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's a perfect example of why I wouldn't buy a phone from vm. I'd rather take the risk of buying a used one personally. 

What I would do is take the phone to a local phone shop. They would (hopefully) be able to take the sd card out without damaging the phone. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I got a £600 phone from John lewis, when it went faulty they wouldn't even touch it under their 2 year warranty.. so not just VM

The way to do it is to buy a phone outright over £100 with a credit card, and then if it becomes faulty and they won't touch it you do a section 75 chargeback. more power to the people that way as there is no statue of limitations on a section 75 chargeback
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Chasmacduff, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm very sorry about the issue you've had with your new phone and the experience you've had with us recently. 

I can assure you this ins't the level of service we aim to provide and it's disappointing to learn of instances like this. 

I'm afraid the SD card being put in the wrong slot would be classed as physical damage and not covered under your warranty. 

I can appreciate that these things do happen but we would have to charge to fix the handset or swap it for another one. 

However this wouldn't be done within the fourteen day cooling off period, it's within this period that we'd return the handset if you changed your mind or fix any faults covered within warranty. I think the way it's been booked in to our repair center has led for it to be sent back to you in the same state you sent it. 

Therefore I think we could look at sending it in again after your cooling off period has ended, should you be happy to pay the repair cost. 

If not then have you taken insurance out on the handset with ourselves or anybody else? If so you would be able to make a claim on it and go down that route. 

If you'd like to discuss this in more detail with me then please pop me a personal message 🙂

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
chasmacduff
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Thanks for your reply.

You did read my reply and thanks again, when I returned the the phone to Virgin, the phone was promptly returned without the box that it was delivered to me in, in the first instance, the phone box itself was open to the elements, along with a letter telling me that they would check for moisture damage, Packaging it correctly is the message I'm trying to get over here, the person or persons who packaged it was either having a bad day or was miffed at my packaging skills, because the they had none, if you seen it you would agree with me.

I don't know how much it would cost to fix or replace the handset, which I am at fault, I'll just buy a new one from another company, learn my lesson and get on with it.

I will be looking for another internet provider.

Thanks again for your concern.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. 

I am sorry that you received the packaging in such a way, it's certainly not how we would like to do things. I can only apologise for this and feed this back to the team.

I could take a look at your account and let you know how much it would cost to fix it if you'd like? Just pop me a personal message and I'll have a look 🙂

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You know Samsung direct will fix it. They even have a service where they come to you. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped