cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection in the USA

Lambie
Joining in

I’m travelling in the US and using a local SIM. I needed to check my txt messages from the UK and switched to Virgin Mobile SIM but can only have SOS. It’s never happened before. Any ideas how to connect to a local network?

2 REPLIES 2

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Lambie, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community although I am sorry to hear you're having issue's with using your VM SIM whilst in the USA.

Can you please try the below and let us know how things go. 

• You have fully activated roaming on your device.
  • When putting your SIM card in to another device, are things then working or do you have the same issue?

We also need to check if the SIM toolkit as been switched on:

• For an Android phone, please can you do the following: Selects Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you. 
  • For an iPhone, please can you do the following: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you’re using a newer iOS, then you it will be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you. 

It might be worth trying to do a manual network search to see if you can connect to any others and see if that helps. It could be that the network you're connected too maybe doesn't have the best signal where you are. This is out of our control as we don't use our own networks outside of the UK. 

Pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs