cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Wifi Calling ??? Why ???

jadexco
On our wavelength

Just got brand new SIM from Virgin Mobile which I would like to transfer my Vodafone number to.

However, despite marketing blurbs "we got now wifi-calling" I have found out that due to some bizarre reasons this useful feature is not available to all users but only to Samsung and Apple handset owners...

How strange...

I have 2 SIMs currently in my handset and when I chose Vodafone then I can turn on/off wifi-calling (and VoLTE), however when I chose Virgin then such option disappears.

So, there is nothing wrong with my phone, no firmware update needed, no newer Android version needed as it works very well with other networks (Voda, EE) in wifi-calling mode but not with Virgin.

This is important feature to me and I cannot understand why Virgin limits it to certain manufacturers only.

I am afraid I will have to seriously reconsider cancelling my new Virgin Mobile SIM if this issue cannot be sorted.

38 REPLIES 38

Thanks for responding, don't mean to upset a Virgin man but, as I might not have said (?) WiFi calling worked for me on the underground tube system about ten years ago, now, unless I have a VM commerical partners' handset, I can't call via WiFi when I don't have a mobile signal. That's not progress ? Which is why I bought a dual sim handset and carry another, I have GiffGaff, ASDA, Virgin & "3". Maybe one day Virgin Mobile will get its act together. 😉

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MonkeyWrench wrote:
Thanks for responding, don't mean to upset a Virgin man but, as I might not have said (?) WiFi calling worked for me on the underground tube system about ten years ago, now, unless I have a VM commerical partners' handset, I can't call via WiFi when I don't have a mobile signal. That's not progress ? Which is why I bought a dual sim handset and carry another, I have GiffGaff, ASDA, Virgin & "3". Maybe one day Virgin Mobile will get its act together. 😉

That was via an Application. Three had the same. We are looking at what is termed native wifi calling which is built in to the phone firmware. Three did away with their app some time back when native WiFi calling was added to all handsets bought through them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

You're right, it was via an App. But why exclude all Virgin customers that don't have the requisite firmware, why not give them the choice of App or firmware ?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The SmartCall app was a home phone product not a Virgin Mobile one, so aligned to the landline plan for inclusive calls only from that plan.

It also was outbound calls only and didn't allow chargeable calls or emergency calls, and it would drop the call if you moved out of WiFi range.

WiFi Calling and VoLTE are design to be a seamless experience for your mobile plan. The aim is that you don't need to choose how the calls are made or received, the phone and network will do that for you automatically.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Yes, you're right again, but the concept was the same, it worked fine for out-bounds. I have to stand next to a window at the top of my stairs to make a VMob outbound from Watford !! As for needing to choose how calls are made - the only choice I have at the moment is via another provider. Having "seamless" is fine as long as you have the trousers in the first place. Thank goodness for WhatsApp, you don't hear them talking about handsets and firmware. But hey, I get it, the marketing comes way before delivery, in VMob's case usually a couple of years. It gives your Philippine call center something to do I guess - trying to sell me a new phone / unsuitable call plan every couple of months. 😉

So Ben_Mcr,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge duos dual-SIM phone with generic firmware. How can I update the routing tables so the it can use Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE on both Virgin Mobile and Three?

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Felim_Doyle wrote:

So Ben_Mcr,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge duos dual-SIM phone with generic firmware. How can I update the routing tables so the it can use Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE on both Virgin Mobile and Three?

You can't unfortunately. The first Samsung device that has the Virgin Media WiFi Calling support added by Samsung to the 'SIM Free' firmware is the S9.

Great that it's all nice and proprietary stuff ! Cosy. My Realme 7 is meant to be able to do WiFi calling, but apparently not Virgin WiFi calling.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MonkeyWrench wrote:
Great that it's all nice and proprietary stuff ! Cosy. My Realme 7 is meant to be able to do WiFi calling, but apparently not Virgin WiFi calling.

Just because a device is technically capable of WiFi Calling does not indicate if it can support any / all network versions.

All networks have a restricted range of devices that will work with WiFi Calling on their specific network. That's true of EE, Vodafone, O2 and Three as much as it is for Virgin Mobile.

The only difference for between each network is how long they've supported WiFi Calling and so how far back to older devices the support was added by the manufacturers and which brands each network worked with.

As far as I can tell, no UK network list Realme devices as supported with WiFi Calling. If it does work for WiFi Calling on other UK networks, it's something Realme have added without direct network support.

Forgive me for being naive & a cynic but isn't this what "standards" do ? So a network does not "support" a phone, the phone and network adopt a standard. It all sounds a little bit commercially fishy to me, especially after VMob told me it wouldn't work on my phone they tried to sell me a "better" phone that would work with "their" WiFi calling. Mmmm, now that makes sense.