cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Wifi Calling ??? Why ???

jadexco
On our wavelength

Just got brand new SIM from Virgin Mobile which I would like to transfer my Vodafone number to.

However, despite marketing blurbs "we got now wifi-calling" I have found out that due to some bizarre reasons this useful feature is not available to all users but only to Samsung and Apple handset owners...

How strange...

I have 2 SIMs currently in my handset and when I chose Vodafone then I can turn on/off wifi-calling (and VoLTE), however when I chose Virgin then such option disappears.

So, there is nothing wrong with my phone, no firmware update needed, no newer Android version needed as it works very well with other networks (Voda, EE) in wifi-calling mode but not with Virgin.

This is important feature to me and I cannot understand why Virgin limits it to certain manufacturers only.

I am afraid I will have to seriously reconsider cancelling my new Virgin Mobile SIM if this issue cannot be sorted.

38 REPLIES 38

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Both Vodafone and EE have now opened up VoLTE and WiFi Calling to all of their customers, so they are keen to get this established.

My 1p Mobile SiM now has both and 5G!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Here is a link to the Ericsson website from where you can download white papers regarding VoLTE and Vo5G.

https://www.ericsson.com/en/5g-voice#:~:text=5G%20voice%20is%20the%20regular,done%20on%20your%20mobi...

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Japitts,

You say "the 3 leading operators" so which of the following do you not consider to be a leading operator and why? 

• EE
  • O2
  • Vodafone 
Félim

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Felim_Doyle wrote:

Japitts,

You say "the 3 leading operators" so which of the following do you not consider to be a leading operator and why? 

• EE
  • O2
  • Vodafone 

By Three he is referring to those networks who have made official announcements in the trade press re 3G closure. O2 are yet to do so.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks enlli.

You may wish to edit your post to say "three" rather than "Three" which is potentially confusing! 😉

Félim

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like any switch off of 2G or 3G will also have government tracking

https://www.publictechnology.net/articles/news/minister-pledges-%E2%80%98clear-roadmap%E2%80%99-scal...

Minister for digital infrastructure Matt Warman has said that the government will shortly provide “a clear roadmap” for the downsizing or possible closure of the UK’s 2G and 3G mobile networks.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

cje85
Trouble shooter

2G will be around for a few more years yet, not only for those with legacy 2G only phones (likely to be older/vulnerable people) but it's also used for machine-to-machine communication eg. smart meters. 

3G will be the first to go. Vodafone, EE and Three have already reduced it to the minimum they can (5MHz) on many masts and re-used the spectrum for 4G.

So the already beleaguered rollout of smart meters due to first generation units not being compatible across suppliers could see second generation meters having to be scrapped as early as 2027 effectively making them obsolete before their intended end-of-life or even before they have been installed.

I am also aware that some domestic alarm systems rely on 2G/3G networks, often as a backup to broadband during power loss, and so will also become obsolete before their intended end-of-life.

This may mean that a lot of low data use IoT devices will need to be equipped for 5G use in the future potentially hogging 5G networks.

So what happens when 6G, already in development, becomes the norm? Admittedly, some business two-way radio spectrum may be released for reuse as it is replaced by mobile technology but it does seem as though we are constantly playing catch-up.

Félim

Felim_Doyle
Fibre optic