Menu
qwakuk
Up to speed
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New sim query

Bought a new phone 5G at the weekend and phoned up to get a new sim. Arrived today and the packaging says 4G ready. Have they sent me the wrong sim ?

Ref numbers on the pack say J3441 and V1149629 if it means anything 

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim query

Two questions

Did you buy the phone from Virgin or elsewhere?

Was this a replacement for a SIM you already had or have you signed a new contract?

All SIM cards are 5G capable but you will not be switched to 5G immediately unless you take our a new contract. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
qwakuk
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Phone was bought directly from Samsung

Sim is part of Ultimate Oomph bundle and have had the existing one for 18 months plus

Can I even get it updated for 5G if its part of the bundle, the package is on  a contract till January 2022

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This was from Virgin on here regarding Oomph and 5G

Anyone who joined Oomph after January 25th when 5G was launched they should already be on Vodafone and have access to 5G. If it was prior to that, then they  will need to (re-contract) to a 12 or 24 month SIM Only plan - or wait to be automatically migrated later this year.

As taking out a new plan will mean extra money you can only hope the migration will come sooner not later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

qwakuk
Up to speed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Had the unlimited sim for a while and got it for free as past of Ultimate Oomph from August 2019. So theoretically the new sim should be 5G compatible even though the packaging says 4G.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In reality both SIM cards will be 5G compatible but that only happens when Virgin move you across from EE and on to Vodafone and as you took the original contract before 25th Jan you will have to wait.

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @qwakuk,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thank you for posting.

@enlli is correct. In order to get 5G you'd need to change your Tariff or wait to be automatically migrated. 

Thank you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
qwakuk
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Presumably I need to wait until the Ultimate Oopmh contract renews next January and cannot do it earlier ?
0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can choose to change your Tariff now or wait to be automatically migrated later this year.

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos