cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sim cards not working in Locked to Virgin Mobile phones.

keystone
Joining in

Hi,

I have 2 Virgin Mobile sim cards and 2 Virgin Mobile branded phones.  I was sent upgraded sim cards at the end of last year but they don't work in my locked to virgin mobile phones.  They come up with the message "insert correct sim card".

Do I need to unlock them and how do I go about it.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes you will need to get them unlocked.

There were instructions in the letter that come with the SIM card about how to get a phone unlocked, and for some devices sold by Virgin Mobile the unlock codes were included on the letters.

If you don't have the code in the letter, it may be that Virgin Mobile have them through Customer Services. Unfortunately as it's mainly older devices that were locked to Virgin Mobile, it's not always possible to unlock them.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're other problem is the SIM cards may well of expired. Usually they are valid for 90 days.

If they are PAYG be aware that service is being closed down between 17th October and the end of the year.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Actually, that's a good point.

Although I'm sure that any older SIM cards were force activated to their purple coloured replacements at the end of the swap out, and it's only the older ones that would work in the Virgin Mobile locked handsets.

The sims are still valid I made a call a couple days ago, in a phone I borrowed from a family member then put them back in the Virgin phones and they can not logon to any network. No unlock code is provided on the letter, it says to visit virginmedia.com/unlock but that gives the error message "Oops! We can't find the page you're looking for."

They are PAYG but I haven't been told it's closing down can I get my credit balance refunded?

Any recommendations for another network that will work in the virgin locked phones?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin locked phones should work with 1p mobile, Plusnet, BT and EE. 

You will need to ring to get the phones unlocked if you want to use others

Once you are notified of your closure date you will be able to get a PAC code to transfer your number and claim any balance back

However, unless you have set up an account for these phones that notification will come by text message, so unless the phone is working you won't receive it of course.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I spoke to Virgin Mobile on the phone, I couldn't see anyway to unlock the phones, it just say insert correct sim card with no options available, so they are going to send me some new sim cards.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The new SIMs will be exactly the same as the ones you have.

As said above, unfortunately if Customer Services can't give you the codes to enter into the phone to unlock them then you can only use the phones with an EE (or related) SIM, which is not what the Virgin Mobile SIMs are now.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depending on the make and model of handset the may well be a set procedure to enter unlock codes. Virgin may not supply that. Most instructors are on the Internet via Google

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello keystone

I can have a look at this for you 

Although I cannot guarantee it is possible 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L