Menu
Big-Gaz
Superfast
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New sim card being sent but didn't order it.

Hi,

Post this on behalf of my mum.

She got an eye, says Virgin Mobile are sending a new sim card, but she never order it.

Can someone tell my why?
Does she need to change it?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: New sim card being sent but didn't order it.

Virgin Media are pro-actively swapping some older SIM cards to 4G compatible ones. The tariff won't automatically change to a 4G one, that'll be something your Mum can choose to do or not.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Big-Gaz
Superfast
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

So does she need to change the sim card over, or can she use the current one she got now instead?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

She will need to use the one that has been sent, if the change is part of the swap activity. But once it's in the phone, everything will continue to work as before.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Lucrevac
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I’m really annoyed with the way Virgin have handled this. Whoever is responsible for customer marketing and communications has done a very poor job. I too received an email announcing  my “...new sim order was on its way” In other words the email suggests I placed an order for a new Sim myself which I did not. My first reaction was that at worst my account had been hacked or at best that the email was a scam. Virgin should be informing customers clearly and not just lazily recycling a standard ‘new sim is on its way’ email. I had to take time out of my busy day to call customer services in a panic to find out what was going on. I’m particularly concerned about older customers who may be unnecessarily stressed by these emails. Sort yourselves out Virgin - rubbish and lazy customer communications!

0 Kudos
Lucrevac
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

I too received a random email from Virgin about a new SIM card. See my comments at the bottom of this message trail.

0 Kudos
Christelize
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I’m really annoyed with the way Virgin have handled this!! Absolutely disgusted by the customer service and who ever has been responsible for this changing of SIM cards. 

I never even received an email! I received a text message from virgin mobile saying ‘Thanks! We've ordered your shiny new SIM - it'll be on its way shortly.’ - (I never ordered a sim) 

I panicked that the account had been hacked, then after checking my account I disregarded this as a scam, only to receive a letter in the post a couple of weeks later with a new SIM card. I was looking into why I had been sent a sim and then recieved texts telling me that the swap would be happening today! I hurriedly backed up my phone and then noticed I had no signal and can no longer use my SIM card. I put in the new sim only to get the message that it was activated but that it wasn’t compatible with the phone. 

I have now spent over half an hour, TRYING to talk to Virgin mobile support. The guy I spoke to was beyond unhelpful, not in the uk and language was a barrier, as well as the network connection. The guy kept talking over me and saying yes to anything I asked! He then told me to contact Apple (I have an IPhone) to get an unlock code. This makes no sense, as I am switching one virgin sim to another. 

Sort yourselves out Virgin - Terrible, poor and lazy customer communications!

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I agree with all you said there. I believe cs have incorrectly told you to contact apple. Instead post on this sticky thread for iPhone unlock.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/iPhone-unlock-request/td-p/3621737

Iphones older than July 2017 have under apple policy locked to the first network (the old red sims are rebadged ee ones). The new purple sims are running vm's internal system (still ee masts though). 

0 Kudos
Christelize
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you SO much @paulchambers061 - your message was more helpful than the half hour on the phone with virgin support. 

Greatly appreciate the help! I have messaged on the board you suggested 

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Rising star
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I hope they sort out your access quickly.

0 Kudos