Menu
Danzaiver
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New purple sim not supported

Hello,

ive just received a new sim upgrade, except whenever I place it in my phone it says it’s not supported, after googling I’ve seen that this is now a common issue. The thread on here now appears to be locked too so I can’t even reply on there to get this sorted. Can anyone help please?

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New purple sim not supported

What make and model of handset?

0 Kudos
Danzaiver
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's an iPhone 6S plus
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's network locked. You need to ask the network provider where the iPhone was first used to unlock it for you. Hopefully in this case Virgin? Or was it ANOther EE based provider?

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Apple will do it for a fee and a 2 week wait - even when unlocked iphones lock to the first sim that was put in them
0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's an issue with iPhones prior to mid 2017. Handsets supplied by Virgin and a number of others were not SIM Free, just initally unlocked. By design the handset locked to the provider of the first SIM used in the handset. In this case EE.

Virgin Mobile are aware that their updated purple SIM won't work in such cases. But they can arrange for the phone to be permanently unlocked. You'll have to ring 789, free from a working Virgin mobile. Or from any phone, but chargeable.

Make it clear that your old red SIM has been swapped for the new purple type and that the iPhone needs to be unlocked. They should do it for free but it will take a few days. Don't take no for an answer. Polite persistence and a lot of patience is required. Ring before 4pm is best.

0 Kudos