Menu
vipermo
Dialled in
Message 61 of 196
Flag for a moderator

Re: New purple SIM - Intermittent data -

Can i just ask all the people on this thread having Intermittent data are you all on iphones ?

I know others are having issues with NO data but this is a different problem..

0 Kudos
Trickyuk
On our wavelength
Message 62 of 196
Flag for a moderator

I'm using two phones on Android 7.0 and experiencing all of the issues mentioned. 

dew1n
Tuning in
Message 63 of 196
Flag for a moderator

Hi all, I have the same problems with intermittent internet data access despite strong 4G signal as above. I use an iPhone X and had no problems with the previous Red SIM. The intermittent problems with Safari, Chrome, Mail, Music, Maps, BBC News etc only started with the new purple SIM. My phone functions normally with my daughter's EE SIM in it.

My wife has similar problems with her iPhone SE. it was OK on the previous red SIM, her problems also started with the purple SIM.

We have reset the phones and restored from iTunes backups. Switched off then switched on. Gone into Airplane mode then back out. Switched mobile data on and off. Reset APN. All of these may restore data access some times but not all. Even if it works, unfortunately data access is still lost shortly after after doing any of the above. The only thing that fixes either phone is to stick an EE SIM in them. The internet data access works fine, even with the Virgin APN settings.

Life is not perfect and I don't expect 100% mobile service all the time. However, Virgin is a communication company and in this case they are communicating with their customers very poorly. They should have this issue flagged up on a service status page and post regular updates on progress to find a solution. This would save a lot of frustration among their customers and time wasted phoning support. 

I live in an area with a strong 4G signal but a very poor land line phone broadband service. 4G is my main access to the internet and I am happy to pay £18 per month SIM only for 40GB. Last month I think I only managed to download about 3Gb.... but I can't say for sure.... as even the Virgin Mobile App can't access the Internet! I am writing this using an EE SIM!

PS just realised the screenshot does not show a 4G signal..that is because I have gone to my daughter's house to borrow her EE SIM and she does not have good reception indoors.

IMG_5532.PNGScreenshot of Virgin Mobile App unable to access data!

0 Kudos
Jay2k2
Tuning in
Message 64 of 196
Flag for a moderator

I am on an iphone 6S.
The problem tends to give me no clue whether it is happening as data for some apps will filter through so whatsapp might still receive and send messages but imessage, emails, maps etc will say no connection.
Also, if I run a network data speed test using the Network MM app when I am experiencing this it will show no connection until I flick flight mode on and off a few times and suddenly everything will be back up and running on all the apps.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 65 of 196
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jay2k2,

I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem with intermittent data since getting the new SIM card.

Please send me a private message by clicking this link: PM me here and provide the following details so we can investigate this further: 

1. Mobile number:
  2. Make & Model of phone:
  3. App(s) being used (please list all that cannot connect):
  4. Error received (please provide a screenshot if you can):
  5. Date and Time of error (this is very important):

Thanks,

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 66 of 196
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for getting back to me with all your details via PM. I have sent the information you provided to our support team who are investigating this issue. I will be back in touch with as soon as I have more information regarding this problem.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

Trickyuk
On our wavelength
Message 67 of 196
Flag for a moderator

Using two sim cards on 3g unlimited tariff in a stock Android Motorola Moto E4 and a stock Android Lenovo P2. 

With the new purple sim for example I can send WhatsApp messages and get the two blue ticks etc.. But then responses take hours to come through, even when sent from different networks. The photos never auto download either now, even though the app is set to do so. Gmail doesn't sync correctly and download new emails. The only solution seems to go in and out of airplane mode,  then the service is back to normal. 

Prior to the sim card switch on both phones the service was first class. Really disappointed that the service is now unreliable. 

Do you think this is due to both of the sims we have being on the 3G unlimited tariff and it is somehow getting confused with the 4g plans you offer that offer unlimited WhatsApp and Facebook messaging etc? We just want the service back that we've received from virgin for many years.

Does the intermittent issue only impact existing customers that have moved from a red sim to the new purple sim card? Or are brand new customers impacted too?

Please confirm when the issues will be resolved? 

0 Kudos
vipermo
Dialled in
Message 68 of 196
Flag for a moderator

Terri_P 

just sent u a pm  with information and screenshots 

0 Kudos
Margoooooooo
Just joined
Message 69 of 196
Flag for a moderator

I’m having the same issue. It’s absolutely infuriating because there is no indication when the data isn’t working so I have no idea I’m missing messages etc.

I just switched to Virgin and I’m furious this is happening. I thought they had a good reputation but this has obviously changed recently and they can no longer provide the service they contractually agreed to. What’s shocking is the complete lack of acknowledgement of the issue from anyone at the company. I will certainly never recommend them to anyone. Unfortunately it’s too late for me to get out of my 12 month contract...hopefully there is some recourse for us as consumers though if this issue continues.

Jay2k2
Tuning in
Message 70 of 196
Flag for a moderator

I only joined virgin in jan/feb and have been having these issues since that moment so it must be new and existing customers too