Menu
S2driveruk
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

New pay monthly SIM in existing IPhone 5s not working

Just bought new pay monthly sim and inserted into my iphone5s but says sim not supported?

if I put it into my wife’s iPhone 5s it is? Both are unlocked to any network so what’s stopping it in my phone? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: New pay monthly SIM in existing IPhone 5s not working

Your iPhone is locked to some other network. It won't work until the carrier that the phone is locked to requests it registered as unlocked with Apple. Where did you buy your iPhone 5s from? And what network were you using it on before you tried the Virgin SIM?

0 Kudos
S2driveruk
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It is unlocked too which is why it’s a bit odd. Was in o2, then Tesco and has had a coda sim in it too, all working fine. This is the first time it has thrown a wobble.

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If the iPhone was bought from O2 then it was likely always locked to O2. And still is. A Tesco SIM may well have worked as they are an O2 MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator). Virgin is an EE MVNO. I don't know what you mean by 'coda sim'?

See can you borrow an O2 SIM and see does it work? A Vodafone, 3 or EE SIM should give you the same error message as the Virgin SIM does. As it is it appears that your iPhone 5s is locked to some specific network. Most likely O2 and that means you will have to get O2 to unlock it.

To unlock an iPhone the operator, to which the phone is locked, has to request that Apple update the phone's status on their database. It's not just a matter of entering a code on the keypad.

0 Kudos