Menu
dennis_daley56
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

New improved Sim doesn't work!

I have received an upgraded much improved sim which has not been requested. It doesn't work on my very reliable Nokia 1100. Is it possible to receive one that does not indicate 'not a valid sim' for one that works?

0 Kudos
docjohnoscar
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: New improved Sim doesn't work!

I am in exactly the same situation!!!!

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Simple answer no. Your phone is locked to work only on cards produced by EE

You need to see if you have been given an unlatching code or move to a network that uses EE based SIM cards.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

michaelkay
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You have to realise that Virgin media are an awful company who don't give a hoot about their customers.  They have the worst website and support facility I know of.  Nobody cares at all about you.  They stole £25 from my mother as she hadn't used her phone for 6 months and now they are effectively keeping the balance I have on my PAYG phone as their new SIM is 'not valid' in my old phone (now for emergency use anyway, but that's not the point).  When I bought a smart phone, I switched to Vodafone who have been everything Virgin has not.

Don't waste your time ringing them, you never get any meaningful help, just a chance to speak to someone miles away who doesn't care about you in the least.  Their website was designed to make finding any useful links practically impossible and is very badly designed and unappealing.  The script they read at you when you get through, is designed to make you get off the line.

VIRGIN MEDIA ARE THE WORST COMPANY I KNOW.  PERIOD.

0 Kudos
JohnT68
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I am in the same boat

0 Kudos
dennis_daley56
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The Nokia has worked for the last decade on a perfectly adequate Virgin pay as you go sim. I have never been with EE.
0 Kudos
dennis_daley56
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Agree not impressed by the web site. However spoke with an assistant after only a 5 minute wait. She was as helpful as Virgin allowed her, and I was credited £20 to replace my Nokia. I am satisfied although I would have rather retained the use of the old reliable technology.
0 Kudos
ezzjcw
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My mother is in the same situation with a Nokia 1112. My father was told by the switchboard that the phone would need to be unlocked for the new SIM to work. Has anyone else been told this? Why should a phone that works for a Virgin Mobile SIM card need to be unlocked to make a new Virgin Mobile SIM card to work? My mother is adamant that she does not want a new phone, she just wants the new SIM card to work.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@dennis_daley56 wrote:
The Nokia has worked for the last decade on a perfectly adequate Virgin pay as you go sim. I have never been with EE.

Probably when you bought the phone it was locked by Virgin to run on their then partner network. T-Mobile who later became part of EE

Virgin do not have a phone network of their own, everything for them was handled through EE.

Things are changing and EE involvement is now down to signal only, the new SIM allows Virgin to control much more and enables them to fully leave EE next year

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DarthSidious666
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK, I am posting this issue on behalf of my mother who's just got one of these new SIM cards with a letter detailing the reason for swapping it.

So I inserted it into the phone and it asked for a Network Unlock Code (which is strange as she's already with Virgin and should be a simple swap and go solution) also it's not a contract but PayAsYouGo.

We checked the letter and there's no unlock code on there so we tried calling 789 and couldn't get any further as the security question's answer was wrong even though we double-checked the answer (apparently the answer had 8 digits (someone must have mis-typed it), even though we gave the correct 7 digit answer).

We also tried to get the unlock code online and that didn't work either. Just told us to wait for a call which never happened.

As an added frustration we tried to create an account and it doesn't recognise the IMEI number (I triple-checked and it was the right length).
We've just been sent from pillar to post and back again, it's getting ridiculous.

We could have easily fixed this in-store but there's no stores available now as they're all close down.
Please help us out here!

0 Kudos