cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sim slower than old one

kivelll
Joining in

From reading this board, it appears to be a common theme - but my 4G is now massively slower with the new sim card that was sent to me last week than it was with the old one.

Nothing has changed other than the sim card, same device, same settings etc.

However, my average speed has dropped from between 12 and 15Mbps, to between 0.1 and 3Mbps.

The coverage checker on the virgin site suggests I should have good indoor speeds in my area, and within the house - we do have people on Vodafone, O2 and EE - which are all getting much higher speeds.  So I don't believe it is a coverage issue.

Is the new network intentionally slower, or are there new APN settings or similar that I should be using does anybody know?

4 REPLIES 4

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @kivelll

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team! 

I know you have mentioned that you don't believe this is the coverage but have you been able to check this here for Vodafone or here for EE? 

We just ask you to check as we can then rule out the coverage as an issue. 

Thank you. 

Hi Ash,

Thanks very much for the replay and the welcome.

I have checked both of those links, and they both say good coverage indoors and outdoors (which is my experience with others in the same house on those networks).

I'm assuming my old sim (which worked OK) was EE and my new one (which is slow) is now Vodafone. So I have tried placing a different Vodafone SIM in the same device - and I get good speeds with that as well, which makes me believe the coverage is not the issue,

Hence me wondering if it is an issue with the SIM I received, something in my settings that I need to change, or if I should expect the new Virgin sim to be slower than both the old one and the Vodafone one.

Regards

Thanks for coming back to us @kivelll, I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your new sim card from us, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to take a few details via private message to be able to do this.

Please look out for my private message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @kivelll.

I have arranged for a new sim card to be sent out to you and this will be with you in the next two to three working days.

Please let me know if you have any further issues once you have the new sim card.

Regards,

Steven_L