Menu
Highlighted
Message 1 of 292
Flag for a moderator

New Sim Issues

Hi, we’re currently handling queries about SIM swap on an individual basis. If you need help with your SIM swap, please create a new thread and our Forum Team will be in touch to help.

Hi all

We are seeing an increased numbers of posts from forum users advising they are having issues with their new SIM cards.

We would ask that anyone with SIM issues try the following steps to see if they help:

• Ensure the activation instructions on the SIM pack have been followed and the maximum 24 hour activation time has passed
  • Give the back of the SIM a wipe and make sure the SIM tray on the handset has no dust.
  • Perform a manual network search in the network selection settings on your handset( if you are unsure of how to do this please check our handset guide here .

If you have performed these basic checks and you are still experiencing issues with your new SIM please reply to this thread. One of the team will them be along to assist you further via a private message.

Regards

ModTeam

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 292
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Sim Issues

Seems not to be appearing as a sticky

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 3 of 292
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have received my sim and went to activate it and add the number to my virgin mobile account that I already have. It is saying I can only add pay as you go numbers so I thought I had to register it. I am unable to do this either as it is asking me for a security answer but no question is showing? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 292
Flag for a moderator

I have just received an email from the team, with TWO MORE code numbers  (different to the ones in the letter with the SIM)

I have put in the first, then the second and the first again,  this then allowed me to boot up the mobile and can use my home internet.    I could did this by removing the NEW SIM,  with the new SIM in, I was left with 3 FINAL attempts, used doing the instructions above. 

WHAT NOW? 

Emergency calls only  (which at first I thought I'd lost that)

I have no idea of the geekie technicalities of the PAYG locked phone.  But now the SIM isn't blocking boot up - personally think it has been totally deactivated - or do I assume it will work like magic if I wait 24 hours?  £7 spent on landline trying to get help - but gave up.

Scrolling across the top.  NETWORK BLOCK  --  emergency calls only

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 292
Flag for a moderator

My phone was locked to Virgin when I bought it back in 2007 and this seems to be causing the issue as the new SIM is completely unrecognised, no matter how long I leave it in the phone. There were no unlock codes included with the letter I was sent. I have made sure the contacts are clean. When I try manual network selection the phone is unable to find any networks with the new SIM inside. I have submitted the form on the website with my IMEI for a network unlock code but have not had any contact back. Can you help?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 292
Flag for a moderator

I think the one I have has expired- I’ve tried contacting from my landline as unable to make any outgoing calls from my mobile but due to waiting times I keep getting cut off. 

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 292
Flag for a moderator

Be careful using the LANDLINE, even if you have a Virgin package

It has so far cost me £7 and I didn't even get through!

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 292
Flag for a moderator

I have cant do the manual network check because when my phone is switched on it shows sim locked and asks for a password. I don't use a password on my phone and cant put one in as I cant tell if I am inputting letters or numbers. I have tried the unlock code I that I asked for but it just comes up incorrect password. This is the 5th week without my phone, and still cant get it sorted.

thanks peugeot1

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 292
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have not received my new sim yet and my phone has no service now.

Who can I talk to to get help?

Thanks 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 292
Flag for a moderator

The service is disgusting I cannot get to speak to anyone and cannot accept texts or make calls it is ridiculous I need a call back on my landline [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED] otherwise I will take my full business including media package elsewhere 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]