cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM stops outgoing calls

Jagnostic
Joining in

I was recently sent a new SIM as Virgin said it had been "fine-tuning its network".

I put the new SIM in my phone and tried to follow the instructions that came with it, but I was not prompted to enter any code, or in fact do anything.

My phone can now no longer make calls. It can receive them, but not make them.

I have had this problem twice before - the last time it lasted for months - so I'm very keen to nip this in the bud this time.

What can be done to put it right?

13 REPLIES 13

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Jagnostic

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to our community forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been facing this issue! Can I just confirm are you able to send and receive texts at all? 

Have you been able to try this SIM in another handset at all? 

Thank you. 

I can send and receive text messages, yes.

The only thing I can't do is phone out.

I haven't got another phone so can't test the SIM on another phone.

Thanks for coming back to us @Jagnostic

I have looked into this and refreshed your network profile, please can you reboot your handset and try to make calls for me?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi,

I've just tried making a couple of calls to different numbers and just get a beep-beep-beep tone - a bit like an engaged tone, even though neither of the numbers were in use.

Any advice?

Hi @Jagnostic

Thanks for posting on our community forum

Sorry to hear about this, was they both to mobile / landline numbers? Can you try and dial 0345 454 1111 (our helpline) just to see if this goes through?

Please do update me and we can investigate further from here

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I've just tried that and get the same beep-beep tone.

No calls are being put through to other numbers, whether landline or mobile.

Hi @Jagnostic thanks for your reply.

This is quite a strange one - do you have a spend cap set of £0 as this can cause outbound calls to stop if you have gone over your allowance at all?

Many thanks

Tom_W

No, I have no spend cap to my knowledge.

One thing (I think) I have noticed since I put in the new SIM: the green call button icon still has a picture of an old-style phone receiver on it, but it now also has "sound waves" coming out of the mouthpiece.

a) Is this just a design change?

b) Does it denote a setting I should change in order to be able to make calls?

c) Is it likely I am just misremembering the old call button and it was actually always like this?