Menu
RobinIzzy
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New SIM phone restricted

Was sent a new SIM a couple of weeks ago, replaced old SIM and entered unlock code that was on letter with new SIM, didn't accept code. Called Virgin, was told to carry on using old SIM. I have now found that I am not receiving calls. Put new SIM in, message 'enter restriction code'. Tried code from letter again, did not work. Went to simhelp and entered IMEI number and received another code, would not accept code. Rang Virgin help, given another code, again when entered says code error. 

Why don't the codes work? What do I need to do.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New SIM phone restricted

OK. What phone and when did you buy it?

If you changed from the old red SIM to the new ones there is a chance the phone is network locked to EE. (The old cards were rebranded EE SIM cards, the new ones are their own)

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
RobinIzzy
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's a Nokia 2200? quite an old phone that my wife has been using for several years. One thing I have noticed is that the IMEI number in the phone is not the same as the one shown in the account, I think the IMEI number in the account is from the original phone my wife had around 2001. Does this make a difference? Can I update the IMEI numbers online as I have also changed phones over the years. 

I changed the SIM card in my own phone without any problem.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can't really say on the IMEI number, but it irrelevant to how the SIM works anyway.

Are your SIM cards the same size? If so a quick swap should prove things. If yours in her phone comes up with similar messages then its is pretty sure it is network locked.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RobinIzzy
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SIM cards are different sizes, my phone is new and takes a nano sim, my wifes phone takes the full size SIM.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Difficult.

I suppose you could always punch out the nano section of your wifes SIM and try it in yours. If it works, then it is the phone.

You would have to order a new SIM and wait, but the phone isn't working anyway.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RobinIzzy
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

After ringing Virgin help again it now appears that entering various codes has locked the phone and it needs a Nokia unlock code! I tried the unlock code Virgin gave me but this hasn't unlocked it, think it is now unlockable. I have tried the SIM card in another Nokia but get the message SIM not valid. Is the new purple SIM card faulty? All rather frustrating as everything was working until Virgin decided to send the new SIM. I now have a locked phone and an invalid SIM.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The codes supplied by Virgin would have been for the SIM card originally. Usually a PUK code and a PUK2 code. Of course these would not work because the phone is locked to a network. However what has now happened is the SIM is locked out. You now have a locked SIM and a locked phone it seems.

Get yourself a SIM adapter and try your SIM in her phone. If it asks for a code then the phone is locked.

Order a replacement SIM in the meanwhile but don't do anything till you are sure the phone is unlocked.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RobinIzzy
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your help. I have decided to buy a new phone, time for my wife to have some better technology!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Probably the best way forward. Less time and effort 

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos