Menu
davidlazzerini
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New SIM not valid

We are also getting the 'SIM not valid' message with the new SIM on both our Nokia 1100 phones.  Is this yet another old phone that will not work with the new card?  If so, why aren't Virgin sorting it out?  We're perfectly happy with our old phones and don't want to be put to the trouble and expense of buying new ones.

0 Kudos
enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM not valid

Your phone is network locked. You may have been supplied with an unlatching key on the letter or in faint letters on the bottom of the red card

If you do then follow these instructions

Remove SIM card
Type in #pw+CODE+7#.
If +7# does not work use +1#

1. To show p in the phones display - just press * three times within two seconds.

2. To show w in the phones display - just press * four times within two seconds.

3. To show + in the phones display - just press * twice within two seconds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
davidlazzerini
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The suggested procedure made didn't make the new SIM work.  Subsequently I obtained advice from the "Phone Doctor" organisation who confirmed, and demonstrated, that the new SIM was unsuitable for Nokia 1100 phones.  My only option was to buy new phones for my wife and self or lose the service.  I feel badly let down by Virgin mobile.  Why could this possibility not have been mentioned in the first instance?  Similarly why were the help/support team unaware of this - I spent a not inconsiderable time messaging, waiting for replies and waiting for promised phone calls that never came.  At a minimum I would like reimbursement of the £64.98 I was obliged to spend on new phones.  I expected better of Virgin and am considering leaving.  David

0 Kudos
Messybeast
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I spent a lot of time researching this (as I have a Nokia) and the problem is that most of the old Nokia phones have a software lock (meaning the software in the phone's processor chip) and this cannot be unlocked using a remote unlocking code. The only way to unlock affected Nokias is by downloading new software into the processor - basically reprogramming the phone. It means the new SIMs aren't compatible with the network locking method used by these older Nokias. Unfortunately if you have an affected Nokia, you won't be able to unlock it by typing a code into the handset.

This isn't a problem with Virgin's SIM set up, it is how Nokia set up their phones to hard-lock them to a network (VM used to use the EE network so that is what the phones got locked to).  There is software out there on the internet, but it means connecting the phone (by cable) to a computer so you can download new processor software into it (there's also no guarantee it will work properly).

0 Kudos
davidlazzerini
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That explains a lot - thanks

0 Kudos