Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New SIM not valid

Hi

posting for my mum.  she's had a letter with a new sim for her PAYG account. Put the SIM in her Nokia phone but saying SIMcard I still not valid.  She doesn't want to loose the service or credit on her account.  Have tried to ring via 789 but constantly in a queue.

phone is for emergency use and not used alot

pleade can you help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM not valid

Good possibility the phone is network locked and will require a code to work on the new SIM

Virgin may have printed an unblocking code on the letter or faintly printed on the bottom left of the red card.

What Nokia model does she own, even unlocked some are not compatible with the new cards  

Let me know

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

thanks for the reply

nokia model is 1661

hope she is not going to loose her credit if SIM aid not compatible 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks

Good chance that particular phone will have problems with the new SIM

I'll flag this to Virgin

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks enlli,

when will virgin help to resolve this so we can get the phone working??

reading the other posts here, seems to be a common problem with sims not working in phones.

seriously considering moving to another provider

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

In all honesty, you'd be better off moving provider.

VM are virtually useless as making any attempt to sort out this problem.

Search for how many others have suffered because VM have 'messed up' this sim 'upgrade' leaving a large number without a working mobile...

I have 2 now 'useless' mobile phones, if I stay with Vm, to be able to  use the 'new' purple  sim I am going to have to purchase 2 new phones....

(I can't get the PAC codes for the phones, because they have not had the new sims activated...so catch 22!!)

2 perfectly good phones, that work on other networks, but refuse to play nicely on VM's.....

VM don't really care, and as such, you will probably get minimal, (if any) help from either the 'customer services' or 789 (who just read from a script, and if it's not on the script, they haven't a clue, so tell you 'someone will ring you back shortly' as an excuse to get you off the phone!!) 

Basically, you can either buy a new phone, or..move to another provider, (VM 'locked' phones will still work on the 'EE' network) even if VM sims wont..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Claires2357, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that have been happening here. Don't worry I will send you over a private message and get this resolved for you. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos