Menu
Highlighted
infoweb
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

New SIM no EE network?

I just signed new contract got my new shiny phone. Reason why I stay with Virgin mobile is clear - best network in UK, which means EE. So I enjoyed new phone with perfect connection. But since I have new SIM in package, I thought, lets try it. And boom! Suddenly no EE, no connection, in middle of Wakefield! Unbelievable!

I don't care about 3G or 4G. My opinion (and my only) phone is for calls, navigation and camera. For internet I need computer with at least 70MB speed.

But when I trying reach my my son phone which is somewhere near with perfect O2 connection and I have no signal in middle of town?! Switched back old SIM and thanks to god, its working again in EE network and I can make calls from anywhere.

I cant describe how I disappointed. I know I wont receive any help here, I remember past experience in this forum. I just want to warn people. Now you must choose - calls with 3G old SIM or 4G but no calls no connection with new one SIM.

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: New SIM no EE network?

Something isn't configured correctly in that case. Hopefully the staff will be able to look into the issue for you.

If there is no 4G signal available in a certain location (possible, but unlikely) your phone will simply switch to 3G. If there is no 3G, it will switch to 2G. The only time you would have no signal is if there was no 2G, 3G or 4G, which is only likely to happen in extremely remote areas. 

infoweb
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for answer. But I'm really not talking about internet, Im talking about calls. Maybe I forgot to mention, that my old Virgin SIM is REALLY old - about 3, 4 or 5 years old. But anyway... let's presume I know nothing about cell network, "G" connections and other things about network. Let's put it simple - with old SIM I have EE, with new one no EE. And accordingly: with old SIM I can make calls, with new SIM no calls.

Or I must go to hill or whatever where I can make call. With new one SIM its like in my past with Three network - under bridge no calls, after bridge I can make calls and so on. Or I simply can take screenshot of that or record video tomorrow when I going back to Wakefield. If that ("possible, but unlikely").

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just trying to picture your situation.

Was the new SIM sent out to actually replace the old SIM?.  If yes, it is not activated - when it is the old SIM would stop working completely.

If you have had the new SIM for more than 30 days without it being activated, it will now be ready for the bin and Virgin would need to send another one.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
infoweb
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well, good point here. Yes new SIM was sent out to replace the old SIM. And I was expected same, that old one stop working after activated new one. And I received text message from Virgin about that. But now I start worrying that I will lose this old SIM after 30 days with EE connection.

And again guys, to make it clear. On day when I received new phone, I put old SIM to a new phone and went visit my kids. So in this day in my kids house I have perfect connection as I enjoyed it many years. Then I've tried new SIM, of course I activated it. So with this new SIM I tried send some text to my son phone and I see there's no connection at all. Tried to call and again unpleasant surprise - no connection, while 10 minutes ago with old SIM was perfect. So thinking what I big mistake I did with new SIM (in text from VM I`ve been warned that old sim now deactivated) put old SIM and again surprise - on phone screen pop ups menu to choose network. I chose EE and only then start breathing 🙂 I have nice connection again. I tried this trick in centre of town again, because cant call my son - with same results poor connection with new SIM (or no connection at all) and perfect connection with old one. Old sim give me choice EE network, but new SIM - only Virgin network.

So please don't scare me that Im will lose EE network forever after 30 days for 3 more years of contract length... Because I have only 14 days to return this phone back to VM and cancel  contract 🙂

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not trying to scare you 😉

To me it sounds like Virgin are having a problem activating the new SIM properly.

Your old SIM was a EE supplied SIM - so it would see EE network.

The new SIM's are different and see the Virgin network, but the Virgin signal is still pushed out through the EE masts and should be no different signal wise to the EE one.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
infoweb
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for explanation. Now I see I'm happy one that Virgin not working like "it should be" 🙂
Sadly no 4G for me in this case - old SIM not programed on 4G. But it's sacrifice that I can pay for better EE network. Believe me, Virgin network is... how to say polite... there's no polite word sorry 🙂 No matter how hard they "pushing" and where 🙂
Just wondering that to use new SIM VM start push me like 2 years ago, so its probably means VM can't afford EE network anymore... probably because I pay for my contract a lot less than any provider in UK 🙂

0 Kudos
infoweb
Dialled in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Well, solved this like DIY way - A80 have dual SIM, so put to another SIM slot O2 SIM card. Works like charm - sometimes working only Virgin, sometimes only O2 SIM. To be fair,  7 times of 10 Virgin have better connection than O2. But in my situation in my kids house I have only O2 connection. So... solved itself lol 🙂

0 Kudos