cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM in the UK - and I'm overseas D-:

ANLIHA
Tuning in

Hi

My new SIM has been posted to my home in the UK while I'm away in Europe for at least another month.  I don't want a disruption to my service, so need to swap the SIM ASAP.  My flatmate can send the new SIM to me, but can it be activated overseas? If not, can my flatmate activate the SIM in the UK (on another phone) and then send me the SIM so that it then works on my phone?

Many thanks!

A

15 REPLIES 15

tecdude
On our wavelength

It should work, but it will treat it as if you were on holiday, using roaming.

Thanks for your reply, tecdude.

Do you mean that it should work to do the activation on my phone overseas?  Roaming is no problem, but to activate, I'm supposed to send a text to a 6-digit number to signal that I'm ready to do the swap - will that number work from overseas?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can't activate a SIM whilst out of the UK. Your friend can do it for you but you will be without service until it arrives.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

WhatsApp will work without the sim until it arrives 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi ANLIHA,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

As other user have advised the SIM card would need to be activated in the UK. 

When the new SIM card is activated the old one will deactivate. You would still be able to use WiFi on the handset but wouldn't be able use Mobile data, calls or texts. 

^Martin

ANLIHA
Tuning in

Looks like I'll have to have my friend activate the SIM in the UK, then send the SIM to me in the post, and during that time I'll be out of service 😮

Very grateful for your replies, many thanks!!

You're welcome. 

^Martin

Can I clarify one other thing, please, Martin:

The letter from Virgin says there are 2 options to activate the new SIM.  In short:

1) If you already have an old SIM, text them to say you're ready, remove the old SIM and replace it with the new one.

2) If you don't have a SIM, just put in the new one.

Please see below:

https://neu1-api.asm.skype.com/v1/objects/0-neu-d2-6bd7430f6ec2759a01b45b07275d9b07/views/imgpsh_fullsize

My question is why can't I just use option 2 (my friend sends the SIM to me and I pop it in my phone - no texting needed)?

Many thanks again!

As the SIM will be aboard it won't be able to activate. The SIM card needs to be in the UK to activate. 

^Martin