cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM draining battery

dsotm44
Tuning in

Just installed a replacement SIM and now my battery is draining within 5hrs as opposed to 24hrs before on my old SIM. Called Virgin and the person said this was obviously a battery problem. I told her this only happened after the new SIM was used and therefore was not a battery issue. 

I have made no other changes to settings etc - only replaced the SIM

Anyone here can advise? I am sure this has something to do with the SIM constantly scanning for 4G - although the Mobile connection shows as LTE\3G\2G

11 REPLIES 11

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi dsotm44,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with the charge on your device. 

To confirm, on the old SIM were you getting 4G service or just 3G?

Also can you confirm the make and model of your handset?

^Martin

Hi Martin

I could get 4G before - it's a Galaxy S9. My phone stays on wifi all day as I work from home, so it was always on VoLTE, and still is. Battery is 6 months old.

Thank you for that information. Can you confirm if your handset shows it has access to 5G?

Can you confirm if the handset is from ourselves or a 3rd party?

^Martin

Hi

I do not have 5G account or access, and yes this is a Virgin issued phone. If I turn off Wifi I am still seeing VoLTE but no longer seeing 4G signal

Edit 

Sorry - 4G is there (forgot to turn mobile data on)

If you are accessing service through 4G then you would still get that on your handset as the high speeds would enable it. 

This is likely a setting in your handsets that has enabled that. There may be an option in your setting to turn that off if you would like. 

^Martin

Hi Martin

Just to re-iterate:

I always connect through Wifi/VoLTE not 4G.

The ONLY thing that changed on the phone was a new SIM being inserted - no other settings were changed.

My battery is now dropping about 1% every 2-3mins - whereas before it would last all day without needing a recharge

Edit

Not sure if this is relevant - Coverage map says I am in a 5/5 4G area - but phone only shows 1-2 bars VoLTE/4G

Right I see. Thank you for that clarification. 

I can see on our side you have spoken with the team again since. 

What actions have they taken to help with this?

^Martin

Hi Martin

The team wanted to repair the phone - I told them the phone is not the issue - its the SIM - they are sending another SIM. My worry is the same thing happening again.

Regards
Brian

If the next SIM they have sent out doesn't change the battery draining then we would need to proceed down the route of investigating the handset. I appreciate you're adamant it's the SIM but if replacing it doesn't work, then we would be able to rule that out. 

^Martin