cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM Network Coverage

Stevenrw
On our wavelength

I recently upgraded my handset to a Xiaomi M11 Lite 5G, bought from Xiaomi direct, not via Virgin.

I read that Virgin would use Vodaphone's Network on all new SIMs to get 5G coverage, instead of the current EE network.

I was keen to try this because Virgin Mobile's coverage (via EE) is poor at many of the locations I visit so I thought the new SIM might improve things.

So, just to be on the safe side, I bought a Vodaphone PAYG SIM to check coverage and found it to be much better at the locations I normally frequent.

I should mention that 5G is not available generally in the areas I normally visit but I wanted to future proof the handset, and would be content just with improved 4G coverage.

So I went ahead and requested my SIM be changed from the old Virgin 4G enabled EE network SIM to the new 5G enabled SIM which I understood would be using the Vodaphone network.

New SIM duly arrived and I installed it in my new handset.

Visiting one of my usual places this morning I found the "new" Virgin 5G SIM had no coverage but the Vodaphone PAYG SIM (which I had put in my old handset to test) had full 4G signal strength.

Please see pics below

Can somebody enlighten me please? Are perhaps Virgin ONLY using Vodaphone where there is a 5G signal and reverting to EE network for everything else?

I'm a bit frustrated, thinking I would finally get good coverage with Virgin in the (many) locations where I've struggled with EE's coverage. I'm reluctant to jump ship from Virgin because the SIM only deal I have suits my needs and budget perfectly.

Virgin.jpgVodaphone.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are either100% Vodafone or 100% EE it's not done by area. And in truth there is no difference between SIM cards whatever it says on the package in which it is wrapped.

If your account has not been transitioned then changing the SIM will not suffice unless you have upgraded your package.

Do a manual network search and if EE does not show but Vodafone does, then you have not been moved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are either100% Vodafone or 100% EE it's not done by area. And in truth there is no difference between SIM cards whatever it says on the package in which it is wrapped.

If your account has not been transitioned then changing the SIM will not suffice unless you have upgraded your package.

Do a manual network search and if EE does not show but Vodafone does, then you have not been moved.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Stevenrw
On our wavelength

Thanks for that.

After a long (and sometimes frustrating) chat with one of their agents, it finally transpires that I (or my local masts - never got to the bottom of that one) have not yet been migrated over to Vodaphone, so although I have a new SIM it is only actually "Vodaphone Ready" if you like.

So I'm still using EE network until such time as I am migrated across.

I wonder if there is a published schedule for the migration? Best I could get was "soon"

Anyway, at least I now know why I still can't get coverage as well as via my Vodaphone PAYG SIM.

Perhaps by the time migration does take place my Xiaomi 5G phone will be added to the "supported device" list for Vodaphone 5G?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No published timetable. This is Virgin we are talking about! 

Hopefully, in the next few months as their contract with EE finishes at the end of the year.