cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM - Can call but not data

cciliber
Tuning in

Hi, I just joined Virgin Media and got my SIM card. 

I get signal and can make calls. But I am not able to use data (even though my plan gives me 5GB).

I tried to turn my device off and on again a few times already, to no avail. 

Could you please advice?

7 REPLIES 7

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi cciliber,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome both here and to Virgin Media, sorry to hear you are unable to use Data even though calls and Text are fine, is it just 5G or are you unable to get any connection at all, are there any known issues showing on our Coverage Checker?

I was able to locate you on our system and it looks like you may have ported a number in to us, when this happens it can take up to 72 hours for things to settle.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul_DN, 

Thanks for the reply.

I'll wait for the 72 hours then and post an update here. 

Thanks again,

cciliber

Thanks cciliber and please do keep us updated.

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you have ported in there is a good chance your APN settings are wrong

They should be these

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/APN-settings-for-data/td-p/3597569

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @cciliber

In support of the advice offered to you by the fantastic enlli, is the phone you're using a brand new handset?  Or is it a handset you've used with a different network?  If it's a phone you've used with a previous network, then there's a chance your APN settings would still be set a previous network.  

Regards

Lee_R

That was it. Thanks! Resetting the APN immediately solved the problem.

Thanks everyone and @enlli in particular for the amazing support. 

Best,
cciliber

Thanks for the update @cciliber, I'm glad to see that this has now worked for you.

Let us know if you need any further support. We are always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules