cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone not registered on network

Obs123
On our wavelength

As part of the Ultimate Oomph package I received an unlimited SIM, so I have bought a new SIM-free Samsung Galaxy A22 5G today, into which I have installed the SIM. The phone number is recognised by the phone in the About Phone section of Settings, but in the SIM card status it states IMS registration status Not registered, and I have been unable to register on the Virgin network. Can anyone please tell me if this problem can be solved without having to request another SIM?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Obs123
On our wavelength

Thanks Paulina. The issue has been solved thank you. It was a problem with the SIM card, so a replacement is kindly being sent to me. Thank you to you and your colleagues for your excellent help.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
IMS Registration is for 4G Calling (VoLTE) and WiFi Calling. Unless you're using one of those that it will show up as 'Not Registered'

If you've got a device that does these, you may need to get Virgin Media to enable them on your SIM before you can switch them on for your device.

Details about what those two here - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/wifi-and-4g-calling
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Obs123
On our wavelength

Thanks Ben for your response. I have tried a very old Three SIM in the second slot, and that worked instantly. Due to its age, I would have expected that to be more prone to failure. Is there any reason why that one works while the Virgin one does not. I should say that the SIM that I received from Virgin had a default security PIN and personal unblocking key, but I have not been asked to enter either. Do I need to enter either or both of those somehow?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
4G Calling and WiFi Calling are not enabled by default on Virgin Mobile SIMs. It has to be activated on the SIM and then enabled on the device.

Customer Services can check it's active on the SIM and then enable it if it's not.

Obs123
On our wavelength

Thanks again Ben for your kind help. Is 0345 600 789 the number that I need to call (obviously I need to use a landline)?

Obs123
On our wavelength

Thanks again Ben for your kind help. Is 0345 600 789 the number that I need to call (obviously I can only use a landline at the moment)?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
IMS Registration shouldn't affect your ability to make phone calls or use mobile data on the SIM. 4G Calling and WiFi Calling are optional for your SIM to work.

If you can't make calls at all or have no data then there is something else with the SIM that would need to be checked

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Obs123,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your SIM not being registered! I can understand how frustrating this can be.

I can see that you've been in touch with our team today already. Can you tell us if your issue has been resolved, or if you still require some further assistance?

We'll be happy to help if needed. Keep us updated.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Obs123
On our wavelength

Thanks Paulina. The issue has been solved thank you. It was a problem with the SIM card, so a replacement is kindly being sent to me. Thank you to you and your colleagues for your excellent help.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Obs123,

Thank you for coming back to us about this issue! I'm glad that our team has been able to resolve this issue for you! 🙂

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know. We're here to assist. 

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs