Menu
AD77
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New 4G mobile customer. Are these speeds normal?

Screenshot_20181204-200748.png

New customer to virgin mobile 4g service . I have had the SIM in my phone for a few days and I am disappointed with these data speeds. 

Screen shot above is from my home, I have a healthy 4g signal but I am only receiving very low speeds. 

Once outside Gregg's in Handforth last week I did have a very high speed of 67mbs DL and 27mbs U/L but since then everything is very low.

Interested to know what everyone else's experience is like?

Thanks AD77

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New 4G mobile customer. Are these speeds normal?

4g can very depending on location and load of the network. I've seen 4g speeds on other networks as low as 0.01 and as high as 80 before.

4g speeds are something that can always change.

If you expect every mobile on a network mast to get 80mbps you are going to be disapointed.
If each mast has 10,000 people and 1gbps connection even if everyone is jsut using background data its still going to be slow

0 Kudos
AD77
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't think most people expect to receive 80mbs D/L. All speeds will vary of course.

My Screen shot above of my most recent Okla speedtest results is showing a max of 5mbs D/L with most being somewhere around 1mbs and 2mbs at peak times.

These figures to me say there is either a fault in this local area/mast or there is an over saturation of users at peak times. 

0 Kudos
AD77
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Here is another speedtest result from 5.30am. This tells me that in my area there is a huge over saturation of users to the network. Hmm, in peak times 1mbs and 2mbs is pretty much unusable.

Screenshot_20181205-053453.png

Daventry
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That still doesn’t explain why the same phone with a EE or Plusnet SIM performs much faster than when using a Virgin SIM.

0 Kudos
Selgovae
Up to speed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for raising this problem and I concur with you the network at times is not able to cope with the traffic it's required to provide.

In my area of North Blackpool from when schools finish until mid evening the service can be very slow or even stopped.

I have wondered if EE limit the bandwidth Virgin can have and keep the lions share for their own customers. Seriously thinking of changing to EE. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

on EE I get 260mbps at 4am but 40-50 at 5PM

on VM I get 60-70 all the time - as is in line with the capping.

As said before it's a shared resource and area dependant - only takes 1 or 2 unlimited fans to bring the service down
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
4g can very depending on location and load of the network. I've seen 4g speeds on other networks as low as 0.01 and as high as 80 before.

4g speeds are something that can always change.

If you expect every mobile on a network mast to get 80mbps you are going to be disapointed.
If each mast has 10,000 people and 1gbps connection even if everyone is jsut using background data its still going to be slow

Common backhaul from a cell site is now 10Gbps or more if it's for business and/or government contracts / majority are actually supplied by VM business now (apart from Sky who let their parent carrier use their 100Gbps UK backbone

Just letting you know - and I do this for a living. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Daventry wrote:

That still doesn’t explain why the same phone with a EE or Plusnet SIM performs much faster than when using a Virgin SIM.

Both services have limited allowance and therefore get higher priority - just like people using freedompop did on Three over PAYG customers and some contract customers.

When you are giving away 100,200 and even unlimited data you need to be on a separate protocol - but within the same allocation of bandwidth 

0 Kudos