Menu
Schpengle
Tuning in
Message 21 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Re: New 4G SIM, But No Data Connection

But Parental controls are still stuck on, -in a weird way!!

If i type purevpn.com into my browser, hit enter, I get the VM adult content warning.
HOWEVER
if I type google into my browser, then search for purevpn.com and click the link, I can view the site!
the same goes for any *adult site* of choice.
Strange.
Anyone else experienced this?
0 Kudos
Schpengle
Tuning in
Message 22 of 98
Flag for a moderator

in my above reply, to clarify, it should have read:

"SO, i tried this with VM sim, several times, no difference. however, changing FROM THE VM SIM Back to the O2 sim, H+ and higher and all networks show their capabilities, phone REBOOTED WITH VM SIM and yes, 4GLTE, for 1 or 2 seconds then gone-back down to Just H and it stays there, with full signal strength."

Schpengle wrote:

EDIT!
After turning phone off , swapping back to the new VM sim, BOOSH!
4GLTE!! - er, Momentarily! as it was booting.
then, back to H, where it is, once again parked.

So try that people. if you have a different 4G sim, swap sims then watch your phone as it boots. do you too then see 4Glte momentarily - then get it taken away?

0 Kudos
G371
Tuning in
Message 23 of 98
Flag for a moderator

I was hoping there would have been a solution around from Virgin by now to get 4g working on Blackberry 10 devices. If it's not possible, then they should swap those affected onto the EE Network or T Mobile.

My company phone is 02 and it's 4g sim works perfectly in my Blackberry phone.

Has anyone out there been successful yet getting Virgin 4g working on their Blackberry ?

0 Kudos
Schpengle
Tuning in
Message 24 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Well, tech support didn't call me back today at the time they said they would- or indeed any other time!

But, he did mention the fact that there are *hidden settings* on their end.
that is, the old Blackberrys Up until the end of BB OS7, used to connect via Secure Blacberry servers -so BB users had to pay extra for BB services, in order to access the Internet etc.

Well, that all changed with OS10 (aka, my Z10 phone) and they just use, common or garden protocols and server logins.
However, the Tech support mentioned the *hidden* settings and the fact that they MAY STILL be getting applied to OS10 BB phones, if the sim is first registered in a BB device or, once it is swapped into a BB device.

That is, Virgin network detects device (Hardware, infrastructure level -nightmare) or /account (software, account settings level), whichever and thinks *Oh! its a blackberry! put its High speed data over a BB secure server*
WRONG! These devices CANT ACCESS those servers and don't use them anymore.

So, check your phone out! You say that it hits 4G no problem on the other network, well, put that other network SIM in, check it out, then
SWAP the sim back to Virgin and WATCH IT as it boots up! with mine, it boots up, searches for network, FINDS and DISPLAYS 4G -

Then Virgin back end/infrastructure/hidden, blackberry specific settings,  tries to swap it out to the Blackberry Services server,(Well, I reckon, anyway) fails (as they ain;t up and running for us OS10 guys now)
And so falls back to 3G/2G. and

Drops back down to displaying *H* and stays there.
Something is cutting in and stopping the device from accessing the 4G network once it has Connected!

Possibly this hidden setting or something to do with how BB devices USED TO connect.
If this is the case, then VIRGIN need to check this setting for every BB device , or repair what is buried in their infrastructure that does this automatically
(have fun, Virgin Smiley Happy )
It is obvious that some of the account settings dont work as the Parental controls on mine kept turning back on their own!
BTW. that now appears to be sorted. I can see pictures of pretty kittens and VPNs everywhere I look now Smiley Happy

I've done a bit of network stuff, and this seems to be what is happening in my opinion.

let me know how your SIM swap experiment goes

0 Kudos
Schpengle
Tuning in
Message 25 of 98
Flag for a moderator

BTW, just WHY is this marked as solved>?
It sure as heck isnt. I am obviously totally unable to access 4G services as is yourself and what would appear to be all other BB OS10 users.
or are there some that it does work for?
that will be interesting for fault finding.

Strange. You would think that Blackberry devices are hand carved in a rustic wooden shed in the Romanian hills ,by a one armed old man with string around his middle, named Egor, the way App vendors and network service providers treat them.

Mmm. maybe that is why mine smells of chickens and straw...

0 Kudos
G371
Tuning in
Message 26 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Ok, tonight I had friends over, and one had a phone on EE 4g. I tried his sim into my Blackberry Passport and lo and behold I get 4g. 

So O2- 4g and EE- 4g work straight away in my Blackberry.

I put my Virgin 4g sim back into my device, just got 3g. I tried the EE apn settings, made no difference, still 3G.

So I think if Virgin who is part of EE ,values our custom, they should just send us out EE sims on the same deal as we have with there existing virgin sim.

0 Kudos
Schpengle
Tuning in
Message 27 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Oh! ok. and your BB didnt show you 4Glte, top right corner just after it had booted and after *Searching for networks* immediately after the red cross dissapears? as mine does then BANG!.. "H"...... *None Shall Pass!* ...H.

in a sort of *black knight, Monty Python, Holy Grail kind of way.
its only a second or two, if your not watching it will go.
But great for testing that anyway, thanks.

As I'm pretty fed up listening to various *clueless* "Tech Support" people waffling on about *proprietry software*... *unsupported* etc etc.
MMM , Well, I do believe Windows is *propriety software* .that seems to be doing ok for itself (ok, slightly larger share of the market...but...)

the BB device uses standard connection protocols,
which ARE supported, so, something is patently wrong with the Virgin setup - even though they say *Blackberry* in the supported hardware list.

A bit of Porky it would appear Smiley Happy
Still £15 for 20GB of data is pretty damned fine. and H is better than G, so I'm still content -having never had more than 1GB data allowance before
(on Tesco- o2 Network -again, 3G, H+, 4G - ooh! look, it IS supported!)

But, the 4G would be sexy -as I'm paying for it and.... couldnt help but notice that our upload speed isn't the best! its usually about 10 to 1, ish so
10MB download speed =1MB upload.

Well, I did see a 13.6MB download speed (via http://thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html) but the upload speed was about 0.7 - half what I would have expected. that would make a difference to those stuffing all thier facebook pics etc up off their phone.

Still, its interesting Smiley Happy
I shall see if Tech support calls me back or if any of the Forum Admins here get in touch via PM for me to play with my settings etc.

And again, thanks for checking/confirming that the other Network Providers SIM cards do in fact give 4g performance in the same place. Especially EE!

I too have tried the EE APN info instead of the Virgin one, and, as you say, no dice, same score. mmm I havent tried.... Reverting to the Tesco/O2 sim, then changing APN to the EE settings, then rebooting with the Virgin sim/EE APN settings.. I might try that in a bit now. see what that does

0 Kudos
Schpengle
Tuning in
Message 28 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Ok, to save waffling, I have created a vid, where you can see my Z10 boot up after swapping FROM a Tesco/O2 network Sim to the Virgin Sim.

It scans, FINDS a 4GLTE Virgin signal then,

drops back to H and , well, stays there. forever.

here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZ9G0S9Waw&feature=youtu.be
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 29 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Hi Assassin,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've checked on this today and our technicians are still working on this. 

We will be back in touch as soon as we have an update on this. Apologies again for the inconvenience this causes.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 30 of 98
Flag for a moderator

Hi Schpengle ,

I'm sorry that this issue is still ongoing. We are aware of the issue with the 4G connection issue with the Blackberry 10 compatible device and this has been escalated. Currently our technicians are working with Blackberry to resolve the problem. We apologise for the delay in getting this issue fixed and for the inconvenience this causes.

I'll be back in touch as soon as I have an update on this for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos