Menu
aledm
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Network locked phone

Hi,

We have a Samsung S6 which was on contract on a pay monthly contract until October 2017.

We are passing this onto our daughter but have found that the phone is locked, despite being on a pay monthly contract.  

I spoke to support who were very helpful and equally surprised the phone is locked provided unlock codes but we're still unable to put a non virgin media SIM in the phone.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve?  

0 Kudos
Misslostmarbles
Joining in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Network locked phone

I have the same problem so am interested in this thread.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi, aledm.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 🙂

I'm really sorry to hear your Samsung galaxy S6 is currently locked to our network.

Can you try this link to unlock your handset instead?

Let me know how it goes.

Kind Regards,

Chai_S

0 Kudos
aledm
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  On the link it says the imei number is incorrect, support were able to find it and provide codes.

Still no change!

Thanks

Aled

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi aledm,

Thanks for getting back.

I'm sorry to hear that the link does not work for you as it display incorrect IMEI. I appreciate you checking with our customer service team where codes were provided but sim still does not work. We'd like to further check on this. We can do this via online chat. Just click on the pop up link to get started on this and our team will access your account to verify the details.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Raine_G

0 Kudos
aledm
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi, the link was sent after 8pm yesterday when support was closed and doesn't appear to be working this morning.  I will keep trying but if you see this reply please can you assist?

In addition my wife was speaking to someone via text yesterday who was attempting to help but kept asking us to repeat the same process, also asked us to phone our current provider to see if they could help.

Just to clarify I have also tried a SIM from my work phone which is on EE and I get the same issue on the S6, also the new SKY SIM works absolutely fine on my work phone, so it is definitely a device related issue.

Thanks

Aled

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi aledm,

We can completely understand how hassle it can be. We also want this get sorted right away. Were you able to get in touch with one of our online chat supports? I strongly suggest you try it with your most convenient time in the morning as they need to confirm some details from you and so we can do further diagnostics. (Mon-Fri 8AM-8PM, Sat-Sun 9AM-6PM).

Thanks,

Raziel_I

0 Kudos
aledm
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

So I spoke to someone on support chat and ive been advised Virgin can no longer help me and the issue should be referred to the manufacturer.

I am willing to do this but it just makes no sense that two identical mobiles bought from virgin on the same contract at the same time would leave me with one unlocked and one locked phone.  My contract was also with Virgin so to my mind the responsibility lies with them.

I will contact Samsung at further cost to myself and will update.

Thanks

Aled

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

If the phone did not work on an EE SIM there may be some other issue.  Any phone locked by Virgin around the time of the S6 should work on EE as the original SIM cards were EE based. It is the new Proximus programmed SIM cards that cause a problem. Sky is O2 based so would not work on a Virgin locked phone.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

aledm
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

OK so now, as I suspected I would be, I'm stuck in the middle.  Virgin insist the issue is with the device and Samsung need to resolve.  Samsung insist this is not the case as the only people who can get the codes are Virgin and the responsibility lies with them to resolve.  This is a complete joke now.

0 Kudos