cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network connection

vipercity
Joining in

Hi All

I was sent a replacement SIM since changing over from PAYG to pay monthly.  As I am not in the UK, and unable to return for the time being, I had to get a friend to take my iPhone 6 back to the UK so it could connect to a UK network for activation. My friend brought it back and it still won‘t connect properly to a network (intermittently 1 bar on O2 or Telekom) in Germany where I live, even though Roaming is on.  I don‘t get a phone or data connection on the iPhone 6.  Interestingly, if I put the SIM in my iPAD, I get full 4 bars and 4G on O2, but data only, no phone (obviously) or messaging/SMS.  I have tried the usual turning off and on, airplane mode, resetting network etc.

Any ideas on how I can get the SIM to work in my iPhone 6.  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @vipercity, thanks for your reply and I'n sorry it's not worked for you.

We've just refreshed some settings and hopefully this may work for you now, are you able to reboot your handset and keep us posted if anything has changed?

Many thanks

Tom_W

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @vipercity,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with connecting your new SIM card to the UK network after it was activated in the UK.

Can you tell us if when the SIM card was activated in the UK, you or your friends were able to send a text or make a phone call while in the UK to establish a connection to the UK network?

Have you tried placing the SIM card into another mobile phone to see if the same thing happens as when connected to your phone? 

Please let us know so we can help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi - I contacted Virgin support to confirm that the SIM was activated, and they confirmed that it had been. There were no calls in the UK, but my friend said it got full bars connection.   I don’t have another phone to put the SIM, but I put it in my iPad , and it gives me data roaming.  I can access websites, YouTube etc.  When I put the SIM in my iPAd, I at least get data.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @vipercity,

Thank you for coming back to me. Can you confirm if your Roaming is switched on as it advises on our Germany Roaming page

Are you able to send any text or make any calls when your SIM card is in your mobile phone?

Please let us know so we can investigate further.

Thanks.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Hi  - the going abroad and international call Settings are set in line with the guidance on the page.  I am not able to make any calls or send text messages with my iPhone.  There is either no signal or 1 bar.  Thanks for getting back to me.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @vipercity,

Thank you for coming back to me about your ongoing issue. 

Can you tell me if this issue is consistent if you're indoors and outdoors? Is there a difference? 

Are you able to input the SIM card into another mobile device to see if the same problem occurs?

Can you please try re-setting your network settings to see if this has any impact on the issue?

Please keep me updated if you can. Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

I tried putting the SIM in another phone and there is still no reception.  I also tried inside and outdoors, no difference.  If I put it in my iPad I get full bars, access to 4G and data, but no calls or text messages (given its an iPad).  Thanks again.

Thank you for confirming! 

Would you be able to check and confirm your settings on the iphone 6 here: Settings > Mobile Data > SIM applications > Roaming > Select Mode > Manual > International

If you can send a screenshot of the settings this will be really helpful! Thank you for your patience whilst we get this sorted.

All the best. 

Molly

Thank you - I have applied the manual International settings and no change unfortunately.  I’d rather not provide screenshots.  Please let me know which particular settings, and I‘ll let you know the values.

Hi @vipercity, thanks for your reply and I'n sorry it's not worked for you.

We've just refreshed some settings and hopefully this may work for you now, are you able to reboot your handset and keep us posted if anything has changed?

Many thanks

Tom_W